MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, It's looking very good for me financially these days, my snow and lawn business is working out great and I have a lot of money coming to me by October 15th. There might be a chance, I would be ready to buy a turbo MR2 for the spring of 2022 a bit early. I could be sitting on enough funds to get a great example. I was thinking I might want it already built when I buy, instead of finding a clean stock turbo one. But honestly, I'm quite open to any ideas. With all this money coming October, and much more in the spring time, I'll be ready to find one. I might even get it all built myself, start with an N/A. I want to get one for 2022. My budget is 10-20k. I prefer it to be a right hand drive, JDM set up. Any advice or leads, would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,450 Posts
Clean stock USDM (left hand drive) cars will usually be much more expensive than comparable mileage/condition JDM imports, since the JDM imports (really, their throw-aways) are much less desired by the emerging MK2 USA collector car community.
So if you want a RHD car you're in luck.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Out of curiosity, why do you need it to be RHD? Have you driven RHD car before, why do you prefer it over a LHD considering where you live?
Or is it the JDM cool factor youre seeking, just curious.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey boosted2, I have never actually driven a right hand drive car, I don't need it to be RHD. I just am attracted to the added unique factor, to have one in the states.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i can personally tell you that you better be willing to marry this RHD because you will NEVER sell it.. not here in the states at least.. very very undesirable and not at all easy to sell. Most people are right handed anyways and to drive a stick with your left hand is awkward at best and dangerous at worst
good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a good point. I might want to try driving one first. I bet I could get pretty good at it with practice. I feel confident in my left hand. But yeah I am right hand dominant. I'm thinking more about it, trying to brain storm what I'm looking for exactly. I think I might want to build it from scratch. But that might end up costing a lot more. I'm looking for a pretty fast example I suppose. Maybe an N/A to start. I could build a LHD beast, or get a pretty fast, very clean RHD JDM one (with the better engine) and mod that up to the limits of internals. (wheels, suspension anything else) Or beef everything out (engine, suspension, custom paint) with a RHD. Choices choices.... : ) tbh I'm super pumped about this. Knowing about these figures coming my way is opening the door to something special to own, long term.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Well, just wait and see what happens. Youre in the lawncare business, isnt it based on weather? Weather could swing one way or the other, and youre 9 months out. Hell, you could have a child between now and then.
But I personally know several guys that quit their jobs to do lawncare fulltime...they were quickly out of work when CV19 hit and people were out of work or home more to do their own stuff.
Stuff happens bro.
Just saying, lets see how things play out.

As far as RHD. Yeah, you could get good, Im sure. But if youre looking for unique, that's not the way to go about it.
I live in a small county in NC, USA - population (whole county): 170k...give or take. (based on 2019, it was 167 then, Im rounding up). In my county there is at least one RHD SW20 that I know of. It's white. That's just here.
My point is that there are many companies bringing these into the country and selling them, you'll see more and more and they arent the unique car that they may seem.
Plus, drivethrus.

I hope you get all that money youre expecting. I hope your business booms. I hope you find yourself a clean car.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If I could have chosen my MR2, it would have been LHD. all. Day. Long. I've owned a couple JDM cars. the novelty wears off pretty quick. Its just annoying 96% of the time.

·
Super Moderator
5,536 Posts
^ Yeah, I'm forced to agree with that.

Bad RHD samples, parts supply issues (especially body) and liquidity at sale time are all issues to contend with. Insurance companies don't like them and usually raise premiums on owners for the simple reasons they're more expensive to repair coupled with the added risk of RHD cars/drivers being on the road in general.

Just my 2 cents, but I would sideline the 'uniqueness' of your purchase considering the car is already very rare. Why make your purchase ultra rare where you might be the only one to recognize that and further box you in?

If you have major coin coming your way, I'd buy a good clean low mile SW20 sample - maybe even one with a 2GR V6 already installed - somewhere in the $15K to $20K zone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts