MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to mr2's (also Toyota's in general), so all of your alls help is appreciated. I am looking at a us 91 turbo coupe with the t-top 5-spd, leather interior. It has around 160k on motor and body, and appears to be in good shape. Like I stated I am new to mr2's, however not cars in general I have done several swaps etc....in Honduhs (I am currently working on a turbo crx project). I have been searching on here to find as much info as possible about these cars, my friend helps also, he has a 91 with a jdm genIII 3sgte swap. I have found that these cars are very reliable, if taken care of properly. I have also found that around 275whp is attainable with only around 2k worth of mods if installed yourself :smile: . However the reason I posted is to get some feedback/advice on some questions I have. Is there any certain things I should look for when looking/test-driving this car (besides the normal), like any common problems these cars have that need to be avoided? Is 160k considered very high mileage, that most people stray from because not worth modding because it would need a rebuild soon? Is there any major maintenance that would have needed to be preformed at or around this mileage (like Honda needs timing belt and water pump every 80-100k)? I know these are pretty general questions so any, advice/things to look out for when buying one would be appreciated

P.S. I looked in the Newbs F.A.Q. section and got as much info as possible, but I am human and may have missed an answer to one of my questions. So if needed just yell at me and tell me to look there again :thumbup

Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
620 Posts
Things to look out for.

leaky t-tops
bad shifting tranny
oil leaks
maintence records
salvage titles
car in a wreck (i wouldn't buy it) check carfax

Mileage isn't a huge deal if it runs good and turbo works. You can mod a 160k engine and it will last a long time. Overall they are reliable and great cars if maintained by previous owner. Engine is non-interference so timing belt will not bend valves like a Honduh. Most people are happy with their purchase. Be careful there are a bunch of beaters around that need lots of work and parts are expensive for these cars. John

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you can, go for the generation 3 turbo as this model was greatly improved after the gen 1/2, plus you can do alot more modding wise :smile:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got MR2 couple of weeks ago.
It has 140k right now, but had rebuilt engine about 10k to 15k ago.
And lots of mods worth $3k. i am just love to drive it always.
In my case, my MR2 had bad suspensions. it is aftermarket named tokico.
but one got blown on front pessenger side.
Due to that, when i drive it, the car shakes a lot.
So, test drive it at least more than 65 miles per hour, then see if it shakes.
It is just my case, but you need to check it. good for you.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Check for any rust in the car, don't be afraid to lay down on your stomach and see under the car. And also the obvious, oil leaks, exhaust leaks, etc. Good luck in your hunt!

Miguel

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
When it comes to looking for rust check the bottom seams of the doors. Alot of Mr2's i've seen get blocked drainage holes and the bottoms rust out on the doors.
if you ever reallly want to know if a seller is lying then ask him/her where the car is stored or parked overnight. Check for the obvious signs like oil/coolant on the floor or cardboard that may cover it up.

I bought my 91 5 years ago in Toronto (now live in the states) and it had 167,000kms on it then.
Like any car purhcase, you have to do your best to avoid the obvious, like coolant or oil probs but somethings cant be avoided.
I got mine and found out 2 months later that my piston rings were shot and I had the whole engine re-built!

As far as your question about reliability, these cars are the best (like most toyota's) I ran in to an Air Canada pilot that owned one that had alomost 600,000 kms on it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I will definitely be looking for rust and any leaks. Reading on here and talking to my friend makes me want a mr2 even worse. Every one that owns one seems to love it! :thumbup

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
do a search for "leaky t-tops" :lol2: the novelty of t-tops wears thin real fast when theres wind noise everywhere you drive, and you have to sit in a freezing cold puddle every day!

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
I've heard horror stories about the leaky t-tops but have never experienced rain in my car since I owned a hyundai pony when i was 16! HAHA!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Leaky t-tops would suck. I have no problems with a hard top, less problems and less weight. T-tops or hardtop is not going to be a big selling point to me. I will put the shape of the car (mechanical and body) over any prefrences of roof style.

·
Finally running!!
1,125 Posts
have lot's of patience too I bought my car about 5 months ago and I expect her to be running in one more month but you never know.

go me for finding a 91 hardtop turbo!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
why did you mention leaky t-tops and bad shifting tranny?? almost every mr2 has leaky t-tops, and you cannot expect an old ass car like mr2 to have a smooth shifting tranny, especially if it was a good mr2, than the previous owner must have been driving it hard.

JohnSantesson said:
Things to look out for.

leaky t-tops
bad shifting tranny
oil leaks
maintence records
salvage titles
car in a wreck (i wouldn't buy it) check carfax

Mileage isn't a huge deal if it runs good and turbo works. You can mod a 160k engine and it will last a long time. Overall they are reliable and great cars if maintained by previous owner. Engine is non-interference so timing belt will not bend valves like a Honduh. Most people are happy with their purchase. Be careful there are a bunch of beaters around that need lots of work and parts are expensive for these cars. John

·
Registered
51 Posts
leaky t-tops suck but are the coolest thing on a summers day.I thought turbo transmissions where always a bit notchy and in-precise but you can't expect everything fom a 15 year old car.theres alot more fors than againsts. ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
TomsMR2 said:
my girlfriend and i both own 1991 mr2's with smooth shifting trannys.
i never said there was no such thing as a mr2 that dosnt shift smooth. maybe you rebuilt your tranny, maybe the person(s) who you bought your cars from rebuilt them before you, i dont know that. the point of this thread is this guy is looking for advice about what to look for in a mr2, and i dont think he should turn down an mr2 because he hears some noise from the tranny.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts