MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Every other NA MR2 on the planet came with this, except those outfitted with the 5sfe.

-Nathan

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bucket said:
Thats cool. it would be cooler if you could mount it on the driver side.

chris
Except you have all of the intake plastic there. I know what you're thinking though, which is, "yeah, but tear that out and run an open filter". But at that point things aren't stock anymore, and you might as well build your own mount for a fan out of sheet metal. I'm going for a completely stock appearance using as much Toyota stuff as possible when I can.

-Nathan

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3sge or 3sfe. I'm going to mount it in the exact same place it is on the the 3sge and 3sfe equiped cars. It uses the same temperature sensor that our turbo cars use, so that can easily be sourced. Other than that it will just be a matter of cleaning it up and having the metal re-powdercoated.

It fits up against the passenger side vent.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I wounder if you mounted the fan on the back of the sheat meatle do you think it would mount on the driver side?

chris

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
bucket said:
I wounder if you mounted the fan on the back of the sheat meatle do you think it would mount on the driver side?

chris

Possible, looks like the fan is only held on by about 3 or 4 screws so other than the fan shroud screw holes not lining up I don't see why it wouldn't work. You also got to think though, Toyota most likely didn't drill the proper holes in the engine bay for that shroud so if you do not mind drilling holes into the body (possibility for rust) then that isn't a problem. The next feat would be getting a drill down there with everything in the way.

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
qwik_MR2_5sfte said:
I would bin the temp sensor and just have it run full time we do on our intercooler spal fans.
Yeah, except that that is pretty unnecessary on a stock 5s.

-Nathan

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jackstands said:
It seems like that would be an obstruction at speed. I wasn't aware that 5sfe's had cooling issues.
Well, since it is a stock piece for our cars, I wouldn't imagine that it's a horrendous obstruction otherwise Toyota wouldn't have used it in the first place. The 5sfe doesn't have any cooling issues, this is just me and my endless craze to add on "stock" features that we didn't get here.

-Nathan

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gforce said:
Nice find! :)

Where did you get it from?
I haven't gotten it yet at all, and don't even know if I will. I found it while looking through the German eBay site. I used the buy it now feature and emailed the guy in German asking how much to ship it to me here in the states. He had it listed as only to sell in Germany, but my past experience has taught me that most people will ship the part anywhere, as long as you pay the difference, and explain how easy it is to ship abroad.

-Nathan

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the guy emailed me back and is willing to ship it out to me here, so that is good. He even gave me the quote for it. Next hurdle is payment, since in Europe paypal isn't that common at all, because they can offer a number to the buyer that is linked to their bank account and then just transfer in the money (but not like here where you'd have to give your acct. # and routing number, it's simpler). I told him I can't use that method here, but that I could mail him an international money order, or he could establish a paypal account.

-Nathan

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
pretty snazzy! but about the comment on not having the pre-drilled holes, i assume that the shroud for the n/a uses the same mounting locations for the intercooler shroud which many of us turbo swappers have found out that you can mount your stock or aftermarket shroud in your n/a chassis. good job on the awesome find!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Nathan, I hope that you can get through the payment problems. It would be nice to have a rare oem part like that in the states. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
That s funny, I have one on my 5SFE, bought it on Ebay about a year ago, mounted on the passenger side. The one I have is from a MK1. I guess on a hot day when at idle it helps move the air around. :D

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
91tealgreen said:
That s funny, I have one on my 5SFE, bought it on Ebay about a year ago, mounted on the passenger side. The one I have is from a MK1. I guess on a hot day when at idle it helps move the air around. :D
How well did the MkI version fit to seal off that inlet though? I remember from my 86, that the fan was pretty small and it actually was ducted in a bit rather than on a flat panel like this.

-Nathan

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Well, it doesnt seal the inlet. Air still flows with the speed of the car. I just wanted some air flow during traffic jams and at idle since the hotshot header puts out so much heat. I ll get a pic and post it here.

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
91tealgreen said:
Well, it doesnt seal the inlet. Air still flows with the speed of the car. I just wanted some air flow during traffic jams and at idle since the hotshot header puts out so much heat. I ll get a pic and post it here.
Cool, thanks, I'd like to see some pics.

-Nathan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts