MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a NAPA store today and here is what I found out.

Knurl: MR2 14.20mm *40mm long

Knurl: Land Cruiser and 4-Runner: 14.22mm * 44.5mm long

In my opinion its not worth the extra 4mm. Actually the threads were the same and the Shoulder was longer on the Land Cruiser threads...

Anyone else with ideas??

·
Premium Member
13,215 Posts
Well, if all you need is 4mm those would be perfect. For example, with 5mm spacers. You dont want too long, or your nuts could bottom out and not tighten. If you need longer than +4mm then no its not worth it, because its not long enough.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WyrmMaster said:
Well, if all you need is 4mm those would be perfect. For example, with 5mm spacers. You dont want too long, or your nuts could bottom out and not tighten. If you need longer than +4mm then no its not worth it, because its not long enough.

I was going to run 12mm spacers to be flush. any ideas? I have 5mm now without longer studs.. Its border line as it is. LOL!

·
Premium Member
13,215 Posts
From what I have heard if you want spacers that big they really should be hubcentric (the smaller ones its ok because the rim on the hub sticks through the spacer). Basically, the best option for spacers that big are the H&R ones, which come with longer studs. They are spendy though, and, unfortunately, only available in 5 and 15mm, so if you NEED 12mm to be flush I dont really know what to tell you.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WyrmMaster said:
From what I have heard if you want spacers that big they really should be hubcentric (the smaller ones its ok because the rim on the hub sticks through the spacer). Basically, the best option for spacers that big are the H&R ones, which come with longer studs. They are spendy though, and, unfortunately, only available in 5 and 15mm, so if you NEED 12mm to be flush I dont really know what to tell you.
I know, and I've been up and down with this whole deal too.. I think I'm going to stay with the 5mm spacers. Its about 7mm of tuck this way.. Shucks. these cars are very limited on what you can get. I wonder why they don't do the 10mm? I could get the H&R 5mm with studs and use my 5mm on them? thoughts???

·
Premium Member
13,215 Posts
Hmm, that might be an idea... Your studs would still be 5mm shorter than what would be IDEAL, but, if you are basically doing that now anyway you could do that. Wether its worth the 65 bucks for 5mm less tuck is what you have to figure out.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WyrmMaster said:
Hmm, that might be an idea... Your studs would still be 5mm shorter than what would be IDEAL, but, if you are basically doing that now anyway you could do that. Wether its worth the 65 bucks for 5mm less tuck is what you have to figure out.

So is it my understanding the 5mm H&R's come with studs too? studs mounted in a 5mm piece of alloy has me wondering how durable it is. thoughts?

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Raising Arizona,

40mm long = 1.57 inches
44.5mm long = 1.75 inches

I had to move up to 3.2 inches stud on Hyde and we took off the 2" studs I had.
I can sell you you the 2 inches studs and open-ended tuner-style lugs if you are interested.

IIRC, The factory knurls are .568" and these are .580 so you are going to have to bore out the holes a little bit.

If you are interested, shoot me an offer .... otherwise I am posting them for sale later this week in the MKII for sale forum.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JekylandHyde said:
Raising Arizona,

40mm long = 1.57 inches
44.5mm long = 1.75 inches

I had to move up to 3.2 inches stud on Hyde and we took off the 2" studs I had.
I can sell you you the 2 inches studs and open-ended tuner-style lugs if you are interested.

IIRC, The factory knurls are .568" and these are .580 so you are going to have to bore out the holes a little bit.

If you are interested, shoot me an offer .... otherwise I am posting them for sale later this week in the MKII for sale forum.
Will the open ended lugs fit in my BBS rims? I would guess they would.. As far an offer goes, you tell me :). New studs are 2.00 a piece so I'll leave the price thing up to you...

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
The lugs go for $21 new. So you are looking at $61 for brand new stuff.
I'd let you have all of it for $35 + shipping. I'm not sure how much shipping would be though. I am guessing $5-7 through US Postal (not sure because of the weight).

The "tuner style" just means they will fit inside of narrower holes in some wheels.
This is Jekyl's wheel with the OEM studs and appropriate lugs (NOT the longer studs).
I used the longer studs on Hyde and needed a lug that fit into that type of wheel though.

To see Jekyl's wheel.
Go here (7 rows down, last photo on the right)
http://www.cynikal.net/~mike/2002/mr2_bearmtn/

·
Premium Member
13,215 Posts
Raising Arizona said:
So is it my understanding the 5mm H&R's come with studs too? studs mounted in a 5mm piece of alloy has me wondering how durable it is. thoughts?
Well, now that I think about it, I am not actually sure if the 5mm spacers come with studs, I think that might be why they are much cheaper than the 15mm ones.

But, I believe, the studs do not actually mount IN the spacer, even on the thicker ones. Untill you get up to like 25mm thick, the studs are simply replacements, and the spacers just slip on.

·
Two 2s - 93T, 88 SC
2,965 Posts
The H&R 5mm spacers do come with studs that are 5mm longer than stock. And yes, they replace the existing studs, so you have to pound them out and put the new ones in. The 15mm and 20mm spacers also come with longer studs that replace the stock ones. The 25mm ones are bolt on, with special nuts that attach the spacer to the exising studs, and then you attach the wheels to the new studs on the spacer with the existing lug nuts.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts