MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Man, thats super cheap for a pair of tires. Im really interested to see how the 45 profile tire looks on the front. I personally like the big tire look, and most people go with smaller 40 sidewall.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
very cheap, Im looking into them now for 16"
Seem to have good reviews, and the Donut guys did a hi/low with them and said they werent bad either
Yup, I did a lot of research aswell, and after amazon had them for like $70 each plus free shipping, I couldn’t refuse that offer. I’ll update on how they feel once they are installed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Update! So wheel and tires are mounted balanced and installed.
I have some rubbing on the front when I fully turn the wheel, will have to get that sorted. The front inner tire also rubs a coil spring slightly so I'm probably gonna put a 3mm spacer up front and a 5 in the back to even the poke out as the front currently sits further out than the back. Also plan on lowering it a few more MM for aesthetic appeal. I recommend a 215/40 over the 215/45.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I love your current ride height, to each their own but I say keep it like that if you will be daily driving this, or don't want to have lots of clearance issues. I also noticed that the rear subframes are always beat up on these MR2s so might be a problem if you go much lower.

Looks great though!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sorry for the update spam but here’s another one. Bought some new lug nuts as the auto zone open ended ones require me to scrape paint every time I take them on and off so that sucks...
I feel so bad as this is what every wheel looks like. At least it won’t get worse I just hope it doesn’t peel. I also added 3mm spacers up front to clear the coil spring, ordered some 3 mm for the back aswell just to keep the poke even. I only get 4 and a half to 5 lug nut twists with the spacers on so maybe I’ll look into new studs later.. hopefully my wheels don’t fall off. Now the only issue left is I still rub up front even with the spacers! Not on the fenders or coils but in this spot!
Is there a way to fix this or am I SOL?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Gosh, that looks good.
I just had a SSR deal fall through (seller was... well, nevermind), and really want another set.
Sick setup dude
Thank you! I feel like I'm driving a truck again lol since the car is higher up, 2 inches higher to be exact!
Man, thats super cheap for a pair of tires. Im really interested to see how the 45 profile tire looks on the front. I personally like the big tire look, and most people go with smaller 40 sidewall.
Yea I wish there was a 215/40r17 for the federal ss595 but sadly there isn't.. The 215/45r17 front tire is a few MM smaller (96.75mm) than the 245/40r17 rears (98mm), so the setup is even, but the fronts do rub on the inner body wall so I'm officially gonna say don't run a 215/45r17 on the front of an mr2. Not worth it. I'm gonna hammer the inner wall a bit eventually to see if i can dent it inward to give me a MM or two of clearance.

Up next I'm doing the body kit. Just ordered an aeroware lip, I already have the border skirts, and I'm looking for border rear spats currently. Maybe a wing too. I photoshopped some color (a few shades off might I add) onto my skirts to see what it would look like, and I am fond of it!

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
one inch, not two.
You went from 15 to 17, remember that one of those inches will be above the hub/not raising your car any further ;)

Tell you what, since it's so wild driving the 'truck' just let me pay you for shipping and you send them over here to NC ;) haha
Looks good man

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Also, what sort of wing are you thinking? Like a 94+, a 98?
By your thread so far I dont think you would, but please no huge aluminum wings!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
one inch, not two.
You went from 15 to 17, remember that one of those inches will be above the hub/not raising your car any further ;)

Tell you what, since it's so wild driving the 'truck' just let me pay you for shipping and you send them over here to NC ;) haha
Looks good man
No, I measured from the jack point on the cars rails, it was 4 inches and now its 6 exactly. And as for the wing im thinking in order: Greddy, Autopista, Aeroware.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Man, its tough that the front tire rubs because IMO this looks so much better than running a 40 series tire in front. Ive always felt that 17s are on the edge of being too big for the MR2, but with a meaty tire I think it looks great. How often are you rubbing? Just at full lock, or over bumps, or when?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ok so valve cover gasket and the water neck o ring are installed. My mechanic says that theres oil in my distributer too. Any idea where to get a new one? Toyota? I'm looking for a new one because he said he hasnt rebuilt one in a long time and doesn't feel comfortable doing it.
Man, its tough that the front tire rubs because IMO this looks so much better than running a 40 series tire in front. Ive always felt that 17s are on the edge of being too big for the MR2, but with a meaty tire I think it looks great. How often are you rubbing? Just at full lock, or over bumps, or when?
yea I think i'm gonna tap the parts it rubs with a hammer to move them inward a bit. I like the 45 front, but now that I look at it I wish my rears were slightly bigger aswell.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Ok so valve cover gasket and the water neck o ring are installed. My mechanic says that theres oil in my distributer too. Any idea where to get a new one? Toyota? I'm looking for a new one because he said he hasnt rebuilt one in a long time and doesn't feel comfortable doing it.

yea I think i'm gonna tap the parts it rubs with a hammer to move them inward a bit. I like the 45 front, but now that I look at it I wish my rears were slightly bigger aswell.
If the distributor is still working you can replace all the seals inside.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mechanic doesn't feel comfortable replacing seals in a distributor? Uhhhh.... not sure I'd really trust that guy if his mechanical comfort level stops before replacing some small oil seals...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Mechanic doesn't feel comfortable replacing seals in a distributor? Uhhhh.... not sure I'd really trust that guy if his mechanical comfort level stops before replacing some small oil seals...
He is certified but he said he hasn't done it in so long and for the cost labor it would just be worth buying another new one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Another update! My front lip came in. It’s a greddy polyurethane clone lip from Ikon motor sports in cali. I got from them through ebay. Was around $80 plus $50 shipping. It fits almost perfect, apart from a small gap in one part between the lip and bumper. Also the ends of the lip are a few mm shorter than they should be, so it creates an uneven arch with the bumper and fenders lol.. it’ll do though. Just need to pick up some border bumper spats and bring all the parts to get painted.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Please, post pics of the lip from side and how far off it is.
Im looking at the same on ebay
Here’s pretty much everything that isn’t perfect about the lip.
And here is how noticeable it is from 5 feet away. It’s not perfect but I’m ok with it.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts