MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve been making a lot of threads about little things so I’m gonna try to keep everything here. This is gonna be a roadmap/build thread of my current MR2 to get and give ideas to and from like minded people. So here’s everything on my ride. I bought the car in the first week of September, 2019.

Purchased for 11k in my own neighboorhood, is my 1993 Usdm MR2 Turbo. Came with 72,000 miles and perfect oem paint (surprised me). To my disbelief it also had plentiful mods that saved me a ton of money. The past owners (I’m the 3rd or 4th owner) has installed a Greddy power extreme exhaust, a Greddy side mount inter cooler kit, and apexi cold air intake, led swapped al the interior lights, some beautiful 94+ kouki tail lights, TRD strut bars, a TRD factory short shifter, a pro Xs boost controller, and a modernized sound system. Only things I have done since are install an auto meter boost gauge, swap the boost controller for a twos r us Mbc, and install some BC racing BR style coil overs.
So now we are almost up to date, I just today picked up some Border side skirts still in their package for $75! Going to get a lip and some rear bumper spats to go with them soon, then paint, but only after I get the new wheels and tires (which are this week!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I myself am venturing into the MR2 community! Looking forward to any updates on this project. Picked mine up for 500, I'm at the point adding mods from top end up. Similar to the situation mentioned, I got mine delivered to crack the hood open and find I was in the middle of someone else's project? It's got it's good, bad and great parts. Great, engine mods and machining. Polished and ported head work. Good, upgraded coil over suspension, aftermarket racing wheels and tires and upgraded fuel pump and some semi decent gauges. BAD, not knowing the direction the previous owner was heading? Did he cough up the little bit extra for cam work. New pistons? If so, are they a trusted parts vendor? And worst of all being in the middle of installing something to go to the three card board boxes that were in the trunk to try and find proper mounting bolts, nuts or any other hardware that should be there but is not! Urrgg! It's nice to find a community of like minded folks to vent out to and get feedback. As soon as the weather clears and parts start arriving. I'm back to work... best of luck on your project.! Looking forward to seeing a finished project.
20191203_152344.jpg
20191203_152330.jpg

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
I feel you.
I wish I could ask a PO some questions, or the guy that did the engine (Gen3) swap (MR2 Guru out of Asheville, but I dont know how to get a hold of him).
Some questionable tings.
Some really good thing too,though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agreed! Lol... I'm glad to find a couple people, "learning as we go!" I have been blessed with some mechanics skills, a little common sense and a whole lot of get her done attitude. " but, until last night was feeling a little stumped... glad I could link up with you guys... makes this whole thing seem a little bit more doable... what's your opinion on injector size. It's so across the board. I was originally thinking of going with the supra, 550 cc. But have found all the way up to 1000-2000 cc. Injectors? I do live at high altitudes ranging all the way up to 6800 feet.? My programming person said go bigger, then left on vacation last week through the middle of January.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not e-85 unless I find a station close, will only run 91 octane(best fuel available here). My Tahoe runs an e85 fuel, hybrid I believe? Is that the same fuel or would I need to go to the race fuel station on the way to the track? Want to maintain street driving occasionally. And maybe once in a while run it to the track to laugh at the big block junkies up there with my little 3sgte with a probable Garrett Gt35. If I could pull 350-375 hp with the weight ratio. I'd be a happy camper. Who knows after meeting the forum, I might change my mind and go all out race... Not sure yet still researching and asking advise.?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update! Wheels are in, SSR integral a2s. Bought them used near me from another mr2 owner for $900. He never used them and got the refinished! 17x8 32, 17x9 38. I’m thinking about running Toyo extensa hp 2’s, 205/40, and 225/45. I’m open to suggestions though. Tires will be here in a few weeks, time to just stare at these rims all month lol.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats a lot of stretch on those tyres. Why not pick the normal 215 and 235?
I wasn’t aware they would stretch, I did the math and converted mm to inches and they are almost spot on for the sizes. I can possibly up size it might be better, I was just scared of fitment issues.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Tyre vs wheel width is an interesting comparison. The wheel is wider than the specification. Measure your wheel width and you will see that the 8" measurement is the tyre mounting face inside the lips. Same for the diameter. So when calculating tyre widths, a wheel width does not mean the exact same thing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats a lot of stretch on those tyres. Why not pick the normal 215 and 235?
I wasn’t aware they would stretch, I did the math and converted mm to inches and they are almost spot on for the sizes. I can possibly up size it might be better, I was just scared of fitment issues

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tyre vs wheel width is an interesting comparison. The wheel is wider than the specification. Measure your wheel width and you will see that the 8" measurement is the tyre mounting face inside the lips. Same for the diameter. So when calculating tyre widths, a wheel width does not mean the exact same thing.
Never knew that, you learn something every day!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update! Got time to wash my car and do the first test fit today. I forgot to take a front pick for the fitment, but oh well I will later. Wheels look good I might paint my calipers another color other than black, maybe not we’ll see.

Now this is what I was scared of, the back spacing. This is the front wheel with some BC BR coils. A 5mm gap or less. That seems great, but I don’t know how the tires (that I haven’t even decided on the sizes yet...) will do in there. It may rub. I’m thinking maybe a 4mm spacer to be safe after I install the tires and it does happen to rub. Might buy the spacer any way if the fitment is too tucked I’ll check how the front and back views look next week when I wash my car again!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update! Will pick up the tires in a few weeks, decided on some Firestone Firehawk Indy 500’s 215/45r17, and 245/40r17. Total should be around $500, plus I was quoted $220 to mount, balance, and align everything at a local shop. I also had time to test fit the rears, and I didn’t forget to take a front a back picture for the fitment this time! Unfortunately my original lugs don’t fit in these wheels, and I have no idea about anything lug nut related, so is there like a low profile lug nut out there?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok I have some set backs and I need advice. I have an oil and coolant leak. Coolant leak is coming from the water neck, a $5 o ring fix.
You can see the wet spot in the middle of the picture. Shop is charging me $150 for the labor. Seems over priced for 2 screws but I don’t feel comfortable draining the coolant out of the pipe... Now the oil leak...
It’s from either the distributor or the valve cover. Mainly thinking distributor as there is oil around the wires coming from it. Shop is charging $150 for labor and a new distributor is around $120 from autozone. Can anyone link me one online if they know a cheaper one? And finally if the leak persists after the distributor then it is the valve cover. The new gasket kit from twos r us is $30 for gen 2 engines. I think I have a gen 2 engine. The shop is charging $150 for this install as well. Does this all sound good? I’m gonna follow through with this plan soon so someone intervene if they want to.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
...This is the front wheel with some BC BR coils. A 5mm gap or less...
I think you'll be fine here w/ a 5mm gap. 8" wheels up front w/ coils normally need offsets in the lower 30s or upper 20s with fatter tires and less sidewall. Since you're going 215/45 up front, you probably don't need spacers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

front tires are in, rears get delivered tomorrow and then I’ll probably get them installed Friday. Federal ss595 215 45r17 front. Amazon really got the hookups, the fronts were $136 for both tires and shipping was free to Hawaii. Insane!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts