MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I need some locking lug nuts for my JDM MK2 MR2 Turbo. I've put on some old skool Advans and the ones I have (which I believe are standard Toyota) are just plain old lug nuts and I think they're a bit long!

I'm after some LOCKING lug nuts which will stop people from trying to steal my rims. I want them anodised in blue or purple.

Can someone PLEASE give me a link to somewhere I can purchase some. I'm in the UK but pretty sure most online places will ship here.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
If you go to Autozone, you can buy a complete set of 20 locking lugs.

Most people just put one lock on per wheel, but you can now buy sets of 20 for pretty cheap - $35 or so.

These locks are pretty easy to defeat... all you have to do is pound a socket over the locking lug and turn it off. HOWEVER, 99% of the time you do this, it breaks the socket you pounded on to it and/or it's impossible to separate the two (in a timely manner).

If you have 5 of these cheap locks on every wheel, it's VERY unlikely that any thief will have 20 spare sockets to break on each one, and the time to do it.

I had the very expensive locks on my wheels when I got the car - one per wheel. I didn't have the key and I tried everything to get them off to no avail (sockets, heat, drilling them, etc). In the end, a tire shop guy came to my house with a cordless impact hammer and got them all off in less than 15 minutes.

If I had had the cheapos on every lug, it would have taken him over an hour (and an impact hammer is not a quiet tool...)

I feel much safer now with my 20 cheapo locks, plus changing wheels on the car is easier, since I don't have to swap the lock on and off the wrench, I just keep it on for the whole swap.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the informative reply mate. Yeah I'd probably want 20 cheapo locks as firstly it's probably safer and secondly they'll all be uniform. Can you let me know the part number? I just don't know what lugs to use. Did you see the above link I posted?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
bought gorilla brand lugnuts off ebay for about 30usd.... Im using them on my 57Pros, they work great! they look great!

Edit: i believe they were from this guy. Dont recall what the mr2 wheel stud thread pitch is, so maybe somebody can either chime in or you can email the seller.
:thumbup

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
shiz said:
bought gorilla brand lugnuts off ebay for about 30usd.... Im using them on my 57Pros, they work great! they look great!
Are they locking wheel nuts?

GOR-21133BL is the product code...

Brand: Gorilla Automotive Products
Product Line: Gorilla Small Diameter Tuner Lug Nuts
Lug Nut Seat Style: Conical seat
Thread Size: 12mm x 1.50 RH
Lug Nut Head Style: Tuner locking
Open End Design: No
Lug Nut Finish: Blue anodized
Quantity: Sold as a set of 20.
Conical Seat Taper: 60 degree
Conical Seat Type: Standard
Washer Included: No
Lug Nut Material: Steel
Lug Nut Overall Length (in): 1.355
Wrench Size Required (in): 3/4 and 13/16 in.
Wrench Size Required (mm): 19mm

Lug Nuts, Conical Seat, 12mm x 1.50 RH, Tuner, Blue Anodized Steel, Set of 20

Are they locking?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
whoa...quick replies....
ah yea, each nut needs a special key to remove it. You cannot use a regular 21MM socket to remove them, due to the design of the acorn...

ps. recheck my post (refresh if no changes visible), i included an ebay auction with what im talking about.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
well im pretty sure there is a way to take off/bypass almost any locking device given enough ingenuity, if we REALLY start worring about all this stuff, we'll need alarm systems for alarm systems and a trunk monkey.
For the most average thieves a simple set of lugs will be enough to thwart them in combination with a good sensitive alarm system...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.