MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I wonder if you can help. I have a 1994 MR2 GT with a Toyota radio type C Model 13704.

The car has very low mileage (20,000) so it is stored for long periods.

Over the last year, I have not been able to connect a trickle charger to the battery while storing and the battery has run flat. Recently, when I jump started the car, the radio has locked with an error "HELP" on the display screen.

The manual says I have tried to enter an incorrect security code too often and that I should contact my Toyota Dealer. However, I was NEVER asked for a code when I jump started the car so I have not entered an incorrect code.

Anyone know how to clear the error message and get the radio working again??

Many thanks,

Ray

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have an old file saved from back in the day that lists various master codes for various manufacturers' stereos. While none match exactly yours, the author of the file says some codes may work if the model number of your deck is "close enough". You have nothing to lose so give it a shot. While you mentioned you have a '94 MR2, I see your deck is the 2-in one which is native to the 91-92 MR2 so I'm assuming your deck was replaced at some point. This is true on North American MR2s, but I'm not sure on JDM, Euro & UK MR2s.

You need to enter the master code in two parts. Enter the first half (first 3 digits) then the second half (last 3 digits):
possible master code 752722?

Here are the steps on trying a master code. If your deck is already displaying "HELP", just skip to step 2 below. I didn't write the following so I don't exactly know what the author means by "the switch button". Maybe he is referring to the pressing the PWR on/off knob. When he says "top of TUNE", I assume he means the up arrow on the TUNE or the FF (fast forward) and bottom "TUNE" is the down arrow or REW.

I can send you the entire text file if you like but it may just confuse you. Let me know if the following works for you or not....

================================

The audio has been locked up when displaying "SEC" or "HELP". In such condition, it only can be normally used after decoding. Decoding steps as follows, When displaying "SEC", change it to "HELP" state.

[Step 1] Press top of button "TUNE" with button 1 depressed, "----" will be displayed, now input any 3digit code and press button "SCAN" 3 seconds, "ERR" will be displayed. Repeat 10 times until "HELP" displayed.

[Step 2] Press button 1,4,6 & the switch button at one time, "SEC" redisplays. Press top of button TUNE with button 1 depressed, and input the first 3-digit code 752 when "----" displayed. After inputting first 3-digit code, Press bottom of button "TUNE" with button 1 depressed, "----" redisplays, input the last 3-digit code 722 and press "SCAN" for 3 seconds until "OK" displayed. Now can be normally operated on reset.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an old file saved from back in the day that lists various master codes for various manufacturers' stereos. While none match exactly yours, the author of the file says some codes may work if the model number of your deck is "close enough". You have nothing to lose so give it a shot. While you mentioned you have a '94 MR2, I see your deck is the 2-in one which is native to the 91-92 MR2 so I'm assuming your deck was replaced at some point. This is true on North American MR2s, but I'm not sure on JDM, Euro & UK MR2s.

You need to enter the master code in two parts. Enter the first half (first 3 digits) then the second half (last 3 digits):
possible master code 752722?

Here are the steps on trying a master code. If your deck is already displaying "HELP", just skip to step 2 below. I didn't write the following so I don't exactly know what the author means by "the switch button". Maybe he is referring to the pressing the PWR on/off knob. When he says "top of TUNE", I assume he means the up arrow on the TUNE or the FF (fast forward) and bottom "TUNE" is the down arrow or REW.

I can send you the entire text file if you like but it may just confuse you. Let me know if the following works for you or not....

================================

The audio has been locked up when displaying "SEC" or "HELP". In such condition, it only can be normally used after decoding. Decoding steps as follows, When displaying "SEC", change it to "HELP" state.

[Step 1] Press top of button "TUNE" with button 1 depressed, "----" will be displayed, now input any 3digit code and press button "SCAN" 3 seconds, "ERR" will be displayed. Repeat 10 times until "HELP" displayed.

[Step 2] Press button 1,4,6 & the switch button at one time, "SEC" redisplays. Press top of button TUNE with button 1 depressed, and input the first 3-digit code 752 when "----" displayed. After inputting first 3-digit code, Press bottom of button "TUNE" with button 1 depressed, "----" redisplays, input the last 3-digit code 722 and press "SCAN" for 3 seconds until "OK" displayed. Now can be normally operated on reset.
Many thanks.

I'll try that later tonight.

I appreciate your response........

·
Registered
119 Posts
I noticed your deck is different than the North American one:

The North American deck has a scan button beside the tape/cassette eject button. I think that is what the author is referring to when he says press the scan button. It is the scan button on the cassette deck, not the "scan" button on the CD deck. Since your deck doesn't appear to have a scan button on the cassette deck, you may need to try a different button like the "Eject" or may the small pause button underneath? Or try the scan button on the CD deck. I have no idea.

Also, when the author wrote " Press button 1,4,6 & the switch button at one time", I think he means "all the buttons at the same time" / simultaneously.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts