MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
225/40 used to be one of my favorite tire sizes in 16/17" - 10 years ago when it actually existed. Except for some weirdo brand tires, it's pretty much extinct now except in 18s and larger.

Some 215/45-17s do clear the perch up front right off the shelf - and surprisingly so do some 225/45-17. But it's still a crapshoot. If they're willing, one can always push the spring perch nub out of the way using a hydraulic press or employ Mr. Sledge (in a gentle & controlled manner).

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Ya sizes are scarce in the 215-225 range... and I might have too.. some tires are also blocky (kuhmo) the G-max is real rounded off on the shoulder... I like that personally... the 235/255 setup looks norrower than they are... I might just mix a great combo together depending what might go with each other... dbl staggered wheels isnt as matching crucial... thought about sport cups and 888’s up front

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Ya sizes are scarce in the 215-225 range... and I might have too.. some tires are also blocky (kuhmo) the G-max is real rounded off on the shoulder... I like that personally... the 235/255 setup looks norrower than they are... I might just mix a great combo together depending what might go with each other... dbl staggered wheels isnt as matching crucial... thought about sport cups and 888’s up front

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Mixing and matching tire brands for mild street use is OK.

But my experience shows that mixing tire compounds, even models across the same brand, yields erroneous results when the handling is pushed. As an example, even with identical speed ratings the front tire may warm up faster or slower than the rear changing the handling dynamics real time - or the rear might lose traction at a different speed, etc.. Setups like that just don't inspire confidence.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I’d tend too agree on an all out race course style event (DOT), but street driving or autox... that wouldn’t matter.. tires never properly heat up in that short of time... again, real racing, different subject... I also think max/uhp tire game is a lot of hype... mixing isn’t as big a deal as u think... I’ve done it before with unexpected good track results

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
This post has been updated with all it's info double-checked as of today. A few small tire brands have seemingly disappeared, and thus been removed from the list. If some nice new models have sprung up in applicable sizes, I may not have found them yet, but Bridgestone is definitely still ignoring 215/40R17 tires. There were a couple nice suggestions on this post for tires which unfortunately don't come in 215/40R17, which is meant to be a required size for this list.

Most notable changes:
*Yokohoma S.Drives removed, as they were discontinued after so long. Luckily there are still some good Yokohoma options, with the V701 seemingly replacing the S.Drive.
*I made a mistake with the Federal tires! I had the Federal 595 listed as a Summer tire, but apparently Federal actually produces a 595 All-Season tire AND a 595RS-R Summer tire. Both versions are listed now.
*BFGoodrich R1 and R1 S have been added, as they are a nice DOT-legal race tire option for track.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Added the Hoosier A7 & R7. Pretty much a slick tire for track, but it offers a 225/40R17 front size for 17x8. Perfect for getting a 30mm stagger with a 255/35R18 on an 18x9 rear, which they also offer. I feel like a lot of people would be choosing to run this front size if it were abundant, seeing as a 215/40R17 is technically more suited for a 17x7.5 front.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts