MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if I can use the baseline tune for a 93T ( 540cc injectors) on my Link GX4 , in order to get it started and then do a final tune. Ive installed 550cc injectors...

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
I'm wondering if I can use the baseline tune for a 93T ( 540cc injectors) on my Link GX4 , in order to get it started and then do a final tune. Ive installed 550cc injectors...
Can’t see why not. You specify the injectors when setting up project. You will have some upgrade work to do on fuel system but you should be able to tune the car well enough to run with the larger injectors.

jim

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
The base map the ECU comes with will be enough to start the car once plugged in. Even if you change the injector size it should adjust the base map to enable the engine to start so it can be tuned. I say start and not drive as it's a base tune, not a tune for driving.

You could also ask LINK ECU themselves to confirm this. They are more than happy to answer questions.

I assume it's a plug in as you have not specified the model of ECU like Storm, Fury or Extreme.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.
It's the Link G4X PNP. I've added a MAP and IAT sensor .
I'm hoping to not only start it but then to drive it about 15 min, to my tuner. So I'm thinking that the map for the ST205 would be a better choice.

Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know it's bit confusing ...

The Link website does not state gen 2 or gen 3.
It has the ecu listed as MR2 v1 / Celica ST185 , OR MR2 v2 , v3 / ST 205.

Those are the 2 MR2 ecu options .

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I know it's bit confusing ...

The Link website does not state gen 2 or gen 3.
It has the ecu listed as MR2 v1 / Celica ST185 , OR MR2 v2 , v3 / ST 205.

Those are the 2 MR2 ecu options .

What Jim is saying is, the ST205 ECU pin out is slightly different to the 94+ JDM MR2 pin out.

LINK doesn't recommend driving it on the base tune.

What mods are you making to the engine? Could you run the stock ECU and stock injectors until you get tot he tuner, then swap them out on site? Or even tow the car there.
I guess I'm just on the side of caution when it comes to driving an untuned vehicle. It might be possible to drive it very slowly at very low RPM.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks .
I'm gonna opted for using the base map that came with it for the stock 440 injectors . I'll do a general overall fuel trim . That should get me up and mobile . I'll keep an eye on the AFR on my way to my tuner.

I'm not sure really why a a fuel map would be dependent on a difference in the pins ... As I would expect the ecu itself determines the appropriate signals and not the fuel map.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Thanks .
I'm gonna opted for using the base map that came with it for the stock 440 injectors . I'll do a general overall fuel trim . That should get me up and mobile . I'll keep an eye on the AFR on my way to my tuner.

I'm not sure really why a a fuel map would be dependent on a difference in the pins ... As I would expect the ecu itself determines the appropriate signals and not the fuel map.

It seems you know more about tuning than some. Bumping the injector size up in the ECU will probably automatically adjust any trims anyway.

The pins won't affect the tune but it can affect what pin controls some other items like Powersteering cut. As you probably know you can change what pin does what so a base map will contain a different pin out on the ECU plug.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So looking at the base map on the Link ECU for the MR2 "v1"/ ST185 , the master fuel is set at 14 (units). Its likely not a linear relationship with regards to using 550cc injectors from the stock 440cc , but anyways. Its a 20 percent difference in cc. So Im thinking to decrease the Master fuel ( trim ) to 11 or 12. Has anyone been through this process?
I haven't got to the "autotune" functional in this ecu and so Im not sure how that will play out yet. Last time I fiddled with ECU's was back in the days of using the Autronic SMC with autotune which worked remarkably well. ( 15 yr ago ). And some of that EFI 101 knowledge has dissipated over the yearso_O. In fact, this motor, I had had built back then as it sat for 15 years , til I switched it to my street car from my "race car" a few months ago . It runs great on stock injectors so I'm upping the power ... as you do ... til I blow it up ...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Contact LINK directly to see what will happen if you set the ECU for bigger injectors on the base tune they supply. They will know so no speculation from others just guessing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts