MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
After a few nights of 15 min wrenching sessions between family life, the downpipe is out. No broken or stripped bolts. Tomorrow I'll start putting it all back together. Why yes my fender cover is an ultra cheap hotwheels mat.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Is it fairly warm in Nebraska? Good to see you're making headway!
It's been in the 40s but we have had a few days up to about 60 lately. I'm fortunate that I have a big wood burning furnace in my garage so it hasn't been too bad. Going to be really nice today, so I should be able to get some more done.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Downpipe and b pipe are in. Now to clean the oem muffler, and put it back together.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nice. You running cats?

I hate how hard it is to fit a cat with the Berk exhaust. I did buy a dual exit 350Z exhaust that I was going to chop up and install to get a cat in there easier, but not sure now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Nice. You running cats?

I hate how hard it is to fit a cat with the Berk exhaust. I did buy a dual exit 350Z exhaust that I was going to chop up and install to get a cat in there easier, but not sure now.
No cat currently, but I'm going to see how loud and stinky it is with the stock muffler. I've had plenty of catless cars before and honestly the smell typically never bothered me.
It's an obx B Pipe and looking at it I think I could pretty easily fit a high flow cat near the end of it where it braces to the stock muffler. Also this setup was cheap enough that I may cut it up and try something custom from the subframe back.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The 3S-GTE is old enough that it really needs a catalytic converter to not smell pretty bad. If this is a road registered car I would fit a cat right after the turbine outlet where the stock catalyst would be.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Good news is Nebraska doesn't have any emissions inspections, and I dont regularly drive the car. It also lives in a separate detached garage from my house, so not too worried about the smell. however, like I said, if its too bad, I dont see it being hard at all to squeeze a cat in the b pipe right before the muffler.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Super small update. Painted the tow hooks, and in the process of painting and polishing the muffler before it goes back on. Also just thought I'd show a pic or 2 of the badge. Crap pictures but I love the glow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
That is funny, I have the same plate name but for Arizona.
That is the proper plate until next year when I can put a 1991 plate on the car legally.
Im sure there are more out there in other states that have the same vanity plate. I wanted "Runabout" or some form, but that was too long.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Are you guys sick of the back of my car yet? I'm getting there but only being able to work in 30min sessions each day between work and my kid napping, has made progress slow. Anyway the exhaust is back on completely, and all I have left is to reinstall the intercooler pipes, but that will be for another day.
dirty muffler before cleanup

After a quick coat of bbq paint and tip cleaning.

One of my favorite things about this car is the trumpet style dual exhaust, it's a big reason I didn't go full aftermarket.
More car butt below

So far I'm completely happy with how it looks, we will see what it sounds (and smells) like, later this week.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I remember seeing some old posts where people would hack up the stock muffler to replace the inlet pipe with a 2.75 or 3" tube. The inlet tube only goes like 1/4 into the muffler body past the first baffle or so. Supposedly gets a lot more flow, a little more sound, but keeps things nice and mellow since it's a big chambered muffler.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Took the MR2 on the 30 mile journey to work this morning. As far as sound difference, It's only a tiny bit louder than stock. It's so insignificant that I am sure unless you knew that it was different you would not notice. For now Im fine with this since I do road trip the car and there is no drone. As for power I have a very noticeable gain in response and midrange power. I have to adjust my boost controller as it wants to boost above my target of 15psi, but so far so good, Ive just been ginger with the throttle. Very happy with my progress.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks great so far. My Texas car is turning 30yo in June. I don't run any cats and I may even do the EGR delete soon. I love the smell of older engines and exhaust. New cars smell like robots to me - no soul without a bit of fumes.
FYI - I played with gauge placement last night, as I have two AEM gauges like yours (o2 and TruBoost), and the placement you chose blocks the "Check Engine" light from your view. This may not be a concern for you, but I thought I'd point it out before you have a minor issue that gets ignored or something.
Keep up the updates, I've enjoyed them so far.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Looks great so far. My Texas car is turning 30yo in June. I don't run any cats and I may even do the EGR delete soon. I love the smell of older engines and exhaust. New cars smell like robots to me - no soul without a bit of fumes.
FYI - I played with gauge placement last night, as I have two AEM gauges like yours (o2 and TruBoost), and the placement you chose blocks the "Check Engine" light from your view. This may not be a concern for you, but I thought I'd point it out before you have a minor issue that gets ignored or something.
Keep up the updates, I've enjoyed them so far.
So I think I may have found a solution to the gauge mount problem. I think im going to mount the actual gauge in the glovebox and use a remote display from one of its out channels to make something that fits in the factory clock. I have a clock on the radio, so the stock one is just redundant right now and this would still then look factory.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Hope everyone is doing ok in isolation or wherever you are. I am both super fortunate to still have a job and be at work as an "essential employee" and sort of sad that I dont get to be home with my family occasionally working on my car. Still have a big pile of parts to put on the car but unsure of when ill be able to get to them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Decided to drive the fun car to work today. Stopped and took a few pictures at this old dealership on the way home.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks great. I'm in a similar kind of restoration project but starting with something much more ragged. Sourcing parts for these is much harder than I thought, hah. Time is even harder though. Everything you take apart on a 30 yo car reveals more work to be done.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts