MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity about a year ago to purchase my all original one owner 91 turbo for a laughably low price. I sold my evo quickly jumped on it and have yet to regret that decision. Im not new to the turbo tuner wold having owned many custom subarus, mitsubishis, and more. My last fun project (turbo miata) ate its third engine on the search for more power and so that opens up mister 2 to be the new fun car.
"Try not to ruin the car" for 2 reasons. One being that its a very nice example of an sw20 with very low mileage. Two being that its very easy to go overboard with mods and make the car worse if its too harsh or loud or whatever. Of course most of that is opinion, but oh well.

Here is what the car looked like when I picked it up. just shy of 29k miles bone stock.

First mods were window tint and a new badge for the nose.

soon after I found a set of FD rx7 wheels on craigslist. I also replaced the amber front turn signals with clear units at this time.

I happen to have a fondness for the older style boxy tail lights, but never cared for the tricolor look so some red vinyl took care of the turn signals. I liked that I could see the rear reflection in the mud puddle of my nasty driveway.

Decided that the front side markers should match all the other clear lights, so that was next

that bring's the car up to its current state of my project I completed earlier today. Engine bay cleaning. I know the pictures suck, and it still needs a little more lovin, but its so much better than it was.

Hoping to keep a pretty regular build thread going as out of the 20+ cars ive owned, this is definitely one of my favorites!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured that it deserved its own post, but my wife and I roadtripped the car 9 hours to this years 2018 Pikes Peak International hill climb. Was a total blast that every car guy should do at least once! MR2 was an awesome road trip car.

watching the sun come up 3/4 the way up the mountain is breathtaking, pictures just dont capture it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like its been a while since I posted anything on here. Too long perhaps, but time to revive this thread.
First a few pictures of the car with a few friends. Next Ive recently acquired a set of of 17in Work VS-X9 wheels that I will be refinishing. A few other things are in the mail to come as well, so Ill plan on posting them as they come in.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Definitely appreciate a clean stock/near stock or period-correct MR2. I feel like they are more of a rarity these days for sure.

Just wondering - what did you use to clean up the engine bay? I tried some mild cleaners (I think some diluted simple green or orange based cleaner) which helped but I really want to restore the “cast” finish or factory finish (not necessarily polished or anything like that).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely appreciate a clean stock/near stock or period-correct MR2. I feel like they are more of a rarity these days for sure.

Just wondering - what did you use to clean up the engine bay? I tried some mild cleaners (I think some diluted simple green or orange based cleaner) which helped but I really want to restore the “cast” finish or factory finish (not necessarily polished or anything like that).
I apologize for the extremely delayed response. but, what Ive found best is scrubbing bubbles and waterless carwash. This and a few good brushes with patience seems to work great.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update, here are a few pictures from my last road trip with the car to the Overcrest Rally 2019 in MN/WI. If you enjoy cars and need a good podcast to listen to, check out Overcrest.

beautiful scenery, fun drive. racking up a few more miles.
IMG_20191004_151837.jpg
IMG_20191006_100427.jpg
IMG_20191006_121628.jpg
IMG_20191006_095055.jpg
IMG_20191006_103425.jpg
IMG_20191006_090308.jpg

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just wow, this MR2 is clean and beautiful! I can only hope to get mine to where yours is. Any details on that boost gauge?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also wanted to save this spot for a couple before pictures.
Here is the current interior. New non ripped seats have arrived.

Also the RX7 wheels and stock suspension is about to go away. Good news is all is being replaced by something that will look right at home on an OEM+ style build.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Honestly not much needs to be done to these cars. I think an exhaust, intercooler, and new headlights are pretty much all it needs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think those Japanese made FD wheels are perfect for the car, they look great. I can only hope you're not going Chinese coilovers...
How about Chinese ones rebuilt in the USA?
Also I love the FD wheels too but don't like how they poke out in the front. My dad has a 91 turbo as well that is getting a 2gr swap. The FD wheels will likely find their way into his car. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding a set of period correct wheels for my car.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the help from a friend, These made their way from the rocky mountains to my house in the middle of the country. This is the style I really wanted to replace mine with, OEM usdm 95 seats. :) hoping i like how they feel, Ive already noticed they have less adjustment than my stock 91 seats. Good news is that they will be easy to part with if I decide to go a different route.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
How about Chinese ones rebuilt in the USA?...
I'm not sure if that's a rhetorical question, but I'll respond anyway mainly because of the thread title.

After owning these cars for 17 years and trying lots of stuff on them, unless you're going Ohlins, TRD or Koni equipped coilovers, my experience shows that Chinese coilovers are a step backward and not an improvement.

Right now, I think your car is pure, unsullied and unmolested, with tasteful & quality upgrades. I also think that the current state of your deuce is the main reason for the enthusiasm in this thread.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm trying a set of Fortune autos with swift springs, but it won't be slammed and ill have the stock stuff too if I decide to go back. I've only had my mr2 for a couple years but have had plenty of years of experience with other coilovers and setups on other cars. It was a tough decision to go with this or re-valved sleeved konis. Black Friday special got me though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
As someone with 2 days for driving experience on my Fortune w/ Swift.. you made a good choice. I have no technical information or facts to back my opinion, and this is only anecdotal, but I love them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad to hear, I hope I made the right choice. I've had about half a dozen different coilovers/ spring setups on different cars I've owned, so I feel like I'm pretty picky and have pretty high standards haha. Also my local roads are hot garbage, so I can't have anything too stiff.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
not much for updates since its been cold and Ive been busy. but I have a question for you guys. This is what the underside of my car looks like. No real rust, but just some nasty corrosion. Is there a good way to clean this up without total disassembly?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Why headlights? But I agree with exhaust and intercooler.
OE sealed beams are pretty terrible IMO. You can get plug and play DOT compliant LED or H4 halogen headlights that improve night time visibility a lot. I just put the sealed beams in a box in case anyone ever wants them on resale.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts