MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi all.

I have a modified CT26 ( supra exhaust housing, st165 core) being built for me and i figured at teh same time i'd do an intercooler 'upgrade'.

I bought a Legacy w2a IC last night for cheap and wonder what kinda power its able to support on the 3sgte??

I hope to mount it far left of the engine bay with a 3sge intake manifold to move the position of the throttle.

Thanks,
-nathan.

-1990 JDM turbo hardtop mr2.

·
Registered
207 Posts
personally if you want to go with wta i would say get one off of a celica... that one you will have to make some custom pipes to get it to fit... with the others you wont...

the core size on those arent all that big either.. they are close to the size of a 165 core which is pretty small... ofcourse core is only half of the equation with wta the other factor is heat exchanger size...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Thing is, im going with a 3sge plenum ( flows nicer) so i need custom piping regardless. Apparantly the st165 w2a is ok for around 350HP (and ofcourse there are hundreds of variables deciding that)

Ive compared the legacy and st165 w2a units together myself, and the legacy unit is huuuge in comparison so i just assumed......

-nathan

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Legacy core is reasonably good... I wouldn't run much over 300hp on it though. I have one in my garage. Its about 20% smaller than the ST205 core that many people say is good to 350-400hp and the flow (small inlet) doesn't look so good either... (I was originally going to use the legacy core on my old motor...)

-Charlie

·
Registered
618 Posts
I would say the 165 WTA intercooler is NOT good for 350hp. My opinion though...

(fyi the ST185 RC is over 2x the size of the 165 intercooler, and the 205 one is very close, marginally thicker)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts