MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have thoughts on why only ONE of relatively new brake pads would be destroyed?
The outboard left rear pad was basically GONE. The inner pad, as well as both right rear pads were fine. Just not understanding how this would occur on just that one pad!
I am planning on trying to rebuild caliper (since a replacement seems absolutely unavailable) then replacing rotors and pads….but sure would like to know the cause of this before having a repeat performance.
Clearly something was wrong…..possibly improper installation, defective pad, rotor issue, (???)…… Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Your caliper is frozen in place and not allowed to slide back to the center of the disc, after the brake pressure is released. So one side [the one wore pad] is always dragging on the disc.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm…somehow thought both would still be rubbing. Well, looks like rebuilding….if possible….should solve the problem. Sure would rather just replace caliper….but can’t find one!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW…..anyone know where I can get SST 09756-00010 ?
Found on flea bay for over $40……yet found one for $6 from Toyota Service but ships in MAY!
What‘s up with that? Basically a nut and fancy spacer……

·
Super Moderator
91t gen5
7,113 Posts
Usually when the caliper slide pins are frozen only the inside pad wears. I don't know what would cause the outside pad to wear unevenly that's not very common to my knowledge.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is the caliper pins. When the piston puts pressure on the inner pad it pulls the outside pad against the rotor. When you release the brake the piston is retracted by the deformation of the piston seal. But the outer is held in place by the sticking pins.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Makes sense…thanks! Now to rebuild the caliper myself since a new one or a rebuilt one is unavailable.

·
Registered
271 Posts
When you rebuild it, make sure the caliper slide pins' dust boots don't have any holes and are well lubed to help keep moisture out. Also, make sure your pads move freely on the caliper bracket before assembly. If the inboard pad seizes to the bracket, the outboard pad can get chewed up quickly. Everything on a floating caliper needs to move freely. If not, all sorts of annoying things start happening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts