MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried those 15 led sealed beams with hi-low function? You can find them Amazon and eBay. Was just wondering if they would be a good factory replacement.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I haven't seen any results or reviews posted by a reputable source. (But I haven't searched either)

At that price point, you can get glass housings and an LED setup from Campos. (He's easiest to find on FB or Instagram)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Looking forward to see the light output. With the lights popped up as high as factory height as well, if possible!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I recently installed these Genssi brand LED headlights on my SW20 - very cost effective!.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M09C7Q8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The headlight wiring on the SW20 has the common lead hot and then switches the hi/low with a ground signal.
Because the LEDs are polarized you'll need to do some rewiring so that the common lead goes to ground and the others switch the positive signal.
It can be done with 2 relays if you go back in the harness far enough (I think the connections are on the right side kick panel) but I did it with 2 relays at each headlight location.
I found that the high beams were aimed slightly low when the low beams are aimed properly - probably a function of how low our cars are.

I'm quite happy with these and no longer find any benefit to running the fog lights with the low beams - so currently I use them primarily as DRLs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, w1jim, do you happen to have a photo of what these look like on your car when off & on? I'm curious to see how these look and operate. Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here they are on low beam.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think you may have the lights installed upside down. Usually, the low beam reflects down, while the high beam reflects up. So this means that the low beam is usually on the top.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's interesting...different than what I would expect. I mentioned it because I read where you said the high beam seemed to be aimed low and thought that nay be why. I know my headlights (which are a pretty cool LED projector) were not marked with a top so if someone didn't know they could install them upside down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts