MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Well there IS a website that sells LED bulbs which replace stock glass bulbs, my friend did up his 2.5rs for like 70 bucks shipped overnight. Looks....ooooookayyyyyyyyy, i mean they do respond faster, theres no lag like you get with standard bulbs but not a huge difference.

As far as setting up custom patterns of led's within the taillight housing you'll probably ahve to brush up on your pcb/soldering skills if you want to save the 1940

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
lol clearcorners makes a killing on that stuff IFF they really sell anything. sure they put time into it but id say no more than 100.00 per light worth of parts

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Lag... hahaha....

.001 seconds for the filimant to heat up and glow not fast enough for you? :lol:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
the led replacement bulbs imho looks like dooky. if it was a full circuit board the shapeof the lights it would look 100x better imho.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks as if they have an outside ring of LEDs and a center cluster as well. Yah I'd rather put the $1940 towards an engine swap or new paint job. So this is looking more like a DIY project. I have an old set of clear corners I'll experiment on... Can't be any harder than new seat cover install. And yeah, .001 seconds is so 13 years ago.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
PETC said:
Lag... hahaha....

.001 seconds for the filimant to heat up and glow not fast enough for you? :lol:
i realize that also, but if you see them next to eachother the leds respond faster. i believe the 3rd brake light is an LED bar and if you look you can definitely notice it light up faster.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
I know. But I'm saying the ammount of time they win by isn't going to change anything.

The only reason I'd ever do it is for how it looks, and even then it's still way too expensive... for me at least.

·
Premium Member
5,587 Posts
I'm with PETC. Two grand for lights? Are they crazy?

Someone has waaaayyyy too much money on their hands if they blow that kind of money on a replacement for a $1.25 light bulb.

If someone has that kind of disposable income, all I can say is, "Hey, guy, wanna buy a condo in downtown Tekrit? Man, have I got a deal for you!"

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
PETC said:
I know. But I'm saying the ammount of time they win by isn't going to change anything.

The only reason I'd ever do it is for how it looks, and even then it's still way too expensive... for me at least.
I'm not saying its going to be the difference between getting rear ended and not, but it sure does look better.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
The one good thing about LEDs is their instant on/off feature. Normally your tail lights lag behind the high mount LED stop light on the MR2. I converted my tail lights and rear sidemarkers to LEDs for $40. Replacement 24 LED 1157s look fine to me. I have the old style tails, so they don't show through, but they are nice to have.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
really does not look worth it without some sort of more modern reflector design for the housing to "show off" the LED.

·
Super Moderator
5,388 Posts
I posted this link to those lights over a year ago on this board and I've yet to see anyone come forward with them actually mounted on their '2.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RePete said:
I posted this link to those lights over a year ago on this board and I've yet to see anyone come forward with them actually mounted on their '2.
Yah, no one wants to pay $2K for them!

I work for a company full of electrical engineers I need to hit them up for some advice. This would be a grade school project for most of them...

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
there is nothing more than a pcb with an array of leds installed on it with a few resistors and a protection diode wired to a standard 1157/2057 socket(brake lights) it is not something that is all that complicated.... for your parklight ring you would just up the resistance to drop the voltage to the leds to keep them dimm-er and apply full allowed voltage to your brake light sectiontheres no need for an ele engineer to get something made its ver stright forward

1 - 20 of 86 Posts