MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there seems to be a lot of interest in this company's products I thought I would post some tips on installing their shift boot.

The main difference with the Leatherseats boot is that the leather is at least twice as thick if not slightly more than the stock leather.

This is great since it will stand up to more abuse a lot longer!

...HOWEVER...

This is bad when you go to install it!

The problem, I found, was that when you fold the leather over the plastic part that snaps onto the console, the leather stuck down too far in the four corners at the seams to allow the assembly to snap down flush.

The easy solution was to get out my trusty dremel and both widen and deepen the four notches that are in the corners of the stock plastic part.

I cut them about 3 mm wider in each direction and about 2 mm deeper.

This allowed a perfect fit for glueing with no creasing! :thumbup

Scott

·
Pay for quality, not name
2,026 Posts
How does the top look by the shift knob? I have one as well and you are correct, due to the thickness it needs just a touch of attention. I cant wait until I get my stuff finished.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I just made relief cuts in my boot and used hot glue to hold it down. It sounds a lot easier than using a Dremel on your shift plate cover. For the top, I have a 93 shifter with the ring at the top, so I used a rubber band to kind of hold it up there.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Same here but I used an auto glue made for repairn plastic trim as well as I used crazy glue. Then I used binder clips to squeeze the leather to the plate over night. Its been working for over 8 months now and hasn't shown any signs of comming loose.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Colonel said:
How does the top look by the shift knob? I have one as well and you are correct, due to the thickness it needs just a touch of attention. I cant wait until I get my stuff finished.
...Looks good; it sits up under my Twosrus knob really well due to the stiffness of the leather.

I'd post a pic if I wasn't such a lazy, computer retard!!

...and Jiggly your solution would work well too. :thumbup

I am more comfortable modifying a part that will be hidden; with my luck I would cut too far on the leather and be SOL...:(

..and since we're getting technical I used black "Goop" to glue the leather to the plastic shift plate. Goop is good for this type of thing because it is silicone based and will flex without failing.

I left the whole mess overnight to dry...

I held the leather with rows of clothespins where they would fit. The corners were held with spring clamps.

The "tight side" ( anyone who has done this knows what I mean) was held down with a 3 1/2" CG nail with the head cut off wedged in....perfect fit!

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts