MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not road racing against other cars, but HPDE is close enough I think. I like my AW11 too much to bash fenders with other cars. ;)

Usual excuses apply. Accidentally left the Konis on the street setting, car's handling is very bizzare right now, stock seat doesn't hold me in place, etc etc. ;)

Unfortunately Google heavily compresses the video so you don't get the same sense of speed or subtle audio clues that you do from the 40mb file I uploaded.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5573528557377909390

If anyone wants to see it larger than a postage stamp, I can do a YouSendIt of the bigger one, or direct email if you accept attachments that big.

I need to get out to the track more often.

·
Registered
591 Posts
great video, love the spin out (TRUE MR2) means u use ur car to the max, did a really good job i thought with corners, take care n good luck next time!

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Nice vid Bryan ... that course does not seem like it has many visual indications of where the road is going. That one cross over point I was lost as to which way you were going to go until you actually went the way you went :)

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
you can kinda see the slide coming, countersteer sooner!!

easy to say from just watching the video tho, I know

·
Registered
254 Posts
Great video! I could see the look of terror in that corvett's rear view mirror as you were closing in on him!

Until you've spun a car you don't truly deserve to own it! I liked to way you managed to keep it on the pavement when you spun, always the place to be.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
That was a great video. Who of us havent slid or spun. ;)

·
Round n round we go
3,030 Posts
Those are some pretty good laps. You dive into the chicane faster than me. I don't have your car control skills yet.

What tires were on that car?

If you can run low 1:30s in the SC you would be in the high 1:20s in my spyder. It has enough grip and power to take turn 2 in 3rd gear and the bowl in 4th.

A few of us MR2 guys will probably run buttomwillow at the end of this month and several track days in March. You are welcome to join us. I need some instruction.

Also the end of Feb event is a Speedventures event so the S2000s will be there in force recruiting you into future ownership.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I definitely need to get to the track more often this year. I would love to join you guys (seems there are fewer MR2 track drivers every year). Can you PM or email me some info?

I've driven a turbo Spyder at Buttonwillow briefly. Even at 4-5psi it's a deceptively fast car. What a great track toy.

I hadn't run SOWS in this configuration before. Last time, we used the skidpad and my best lap was a 1:39 on street tires. I'm not sure which configuration is faster - skidpad takes you further away but it also gives you a faster exit to the main straight (and sooner) so you probably carry more speed down the straight up to T2.

For this video I had some old Kumho V700 Victoracers on the stock wheels. Photo from the event: http://threewheeling.f0e.net/mike-y/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=MR2streets&id=IMG_5861

[Edit - I ran with Speedventures once. Great group. I took a stock S2000 (even OEM tires) out for a few laps and was having a ball but I never got a traffic-free lap. I ran a 1:39 having to come to a near stop in the skidpad for a spun car that was getting back on course in front of me. I'm confident it would have been a 36, maybe even a 35. The car was brilliant there. Even had just enough grip/balance to take the bowl in 3rd, which surprised me given the long gearing on this car.]

Jeff, you're right there aren't a lot of visual cues at this track. That said it's really not hard to see in person - the heavily compressed video isn't letting you see much of what's really there.

kbrew - I know I know. ;) The car usually slides more rapidly to begin with. That one started off so slow I thought "oh hey, I'm sliding. This'll be easy to catch smoothly as I approach the next turn." 'Course, as soon as I finished that thought I realized I wasn't going to make it. ;) It was deceptive. Usually when my car slides at speed I'll catch it 9 times out of 10. Not a good enough ratio yet!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
nice driving, nice track :), Soooooo thinking about keeping the aw11? or are you just beating it into the ground before you move on?

when i spin i do a whole 360 for whatever reason, never done anything but when it comes to wrecking! deffenetly nice driving though, pains me to say that being yah might just leave us aw11 guys haha

·
Round n round we go
3,030 Posts
BryanH said:
I definitely need to get to the track more often this year. I would love to join you guys (seems there are fewer MR2 track drivers every year). Can you PM or email me some info?

I've driven a turbo Spyder at Buttonwillow briefly. Even at 4-5psi it's a deceptively fast car. What a great track toy.

[Edit - I ran with Speedventures once. Great group. I took a stock S2000 (even OEM tires) out for a few laps and was having a ball but I never got a traffic-free lap. I ran a 1:39 having to come to a near stop in the skidpad for a spun car that was getting back on course in front of me. I'm confident it would have been a 36, maybe even a 35. The car was brilliant there. Even had just enough grip/balance to take the bowl in 3rd, which surprised me given the long gearing on this car.]
My spyder is apart in my garage right now. I'm putting an LSD with 6-speed close ratio trans. With the stock spyder trans I could take turn 2 in 3rd and the bowl in 3rd or even 4th gear. A spyder on 4-5psi is fun. A spyder with 12psi with 265 rear tires is even more fun. At 8psi it was as fast as my 2001 s2000.

I'll keep you updated on the Speedventures event. I'll probably make on the sunday. They will run configuration 13 CCW.

http://www.speedventures.com/2-25-2006_event.asp

It's a little on the expensive side.

Here are some other possible events for me in March.

March
4-5th-----California Speedway In-field road course---Redline Track Events
8th-------Willow Springs Big track---Open Track Racing
10-12th--California Speedway Infield+Oval-----NASA

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The one I drove was 100% stock. With a passenger. ;) A 2002 I believe.

I might be able to make the Speedventures event on the 26th if I get my ducks in a row. Currently chasing an oil leak on the SC, and don't have any race tires for it. New Hankook RS-2s are on the way, I could murder those at full tread I guess. ;)

March 4-5 I'll be at the San Diego Solo2 National Tour, and March 12 is likely the first Fresno Chapter SCCA autox. March 8 is a weekday so probably out (I'm saving my vacation days for Solo2 Nationals). I've never done the CA Speedway infield, how is it?

Ottobon - I'm still on the fence about keeping the car. I'd love to, but I want to try new/faster things too. I think about it constantly.

Edit - not a lot of damage to the air dam from that spin. Some scuffs on the bottom edge of that corner but no cracks. Any MK1 owner knows these 87+ airdams take a beating wherever they go (driveways, speedbumps, etc).

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
8Legs said:
That was a great video. Who of us havent slid or spun. ;)
:mad:
Walks away in shame cursing his n/a 4age.... :mad:

j/k, I've slid, but my handling skills (which are just as good as my bowstaff skillz) keep me from spinning.

Cool video by the way. Was that vette even trying? If not, OWNAGE!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sweet vid! It's amazing what a Mk1 can do in the hands of a capable driver. Well, mostly capable. :p

Bah, everyone makes mistakes from time to time. I haven't spun my MR2 yet, but I also don't have a lot of experience with it in a performance driving environment (track, autox) where I'm going to push it that hard, either. My Miata on the other hand... Heck, I even spun my Saturn. :thumbup

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
you WILL spin if you get intoxicated by exhaust fumes well in the backseat of a muscle car, and then try to race, im really pretty cross about that(that being my friend who thinks its cool to cut the exhaust off half way so that CO2 gets all in the cabin)

eventually by the end of the day things started getting better, but if you feel sick already, trying to have fun by throughing yourself around in 4 wheeled ride of lateral g and speed just doesnt help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts