MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who want to bring your Mr2 into the states if you move here from Canada!

I have contacted an R.I. (Registered Importer) in Buffalo who is suggesting that the value of my 91 MR2 is about $2500.00. Thankfully, thats much lower lower than I thought so I wont have to pay much duty. This is book value and having mods or body work has no bearing on this!

The original problem was that I might have had to add an airbag to the drivers side to meet D.O.T specs. The R.I. has told me that he thinks there was a cutoff date of either Oct, 1990 or Dec. 1990 where cars didnt have to meet D.O.T. standards (at least airbag anyway)

This will mean good news IF true! I will only have to pay about $755.00 to import the car. Also, if you are emigrating here for good, you shouldnt have to pay ANY duty!

I will re-post with the answers the R.I. gives me.

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quick question.....is there any particular reason you would want to import from Canada unless you are a Canadian moving here and dont want to sell your mr2?

They seem to have a much higher re-sale value there which wouldnt work out well to your advantage!

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I am a Canadian, born and raised, living in the U.S. and I think the girls here are way less uptight, so I'm not sure thats true!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Yellow2 said:
Well, I am a Canadian, born and raised, living in the U.S. and I think the girls here are way less uptight, so I'm not sure thats true!
Yeah American girls are sooooooooooo easy but yeah why not sell your canadian mr2 for a huge premium up in Canada then by a nice clean mr2 for cheap in the states and pocket the rest of the cash.

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cuz I love my car and the work and money that have gone into it. I would never be able to re-coop all the dough that went into it anyway, even if I got top dollar for it.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Cool thread since a stateside move may be in my near-medium future. The airbag cut off date - does that apply to date of manufacture of the car? May 1990 for my 91T ;)

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Barry, I'm not totally clear on this yet!
NHTSA standards and EPA standards must be met in order to import a 91 Mr2 Turbo from Canada!
Toyota has sent a letter stating that it does NOT meet those standards.
Only a car (any car) over 25 years old, gets in with no problems. The rest of the cars that come here mostly need either no work done, gauge clusters changed or minor labelling changes or worst case.....(like ours) Passive restraint work. Re: Airbags. To make it worse, it must be done by a Registered Importer. God only knows how good these guys are with modded cars!
Anyway, The Importer I have been dealing with so far, is looking into the fact that there may be a cut-off date in mid-late 1990 where the airbag stipulation was placed. If that is the fact, only importing costs may apply with no labor being done.
If not.....its aribag time!!!!!

I'll add to this post as I find stuff out, but mark my words....I will get my car into the States, no matter what the cost!

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i forgot, if your car was manufactured before this mystery date, 1990, there is chance that you wont have to do the work..I'll keep my fingers crossed but I've done my homework with the US gov. for the last 2 years and I dont think it looks good!

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HAHA! It must be! The poor things must get shrinkage from the winters in Winnipeg though!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I wonder if you could get away with just having an airbag wheel installed from another MKII and taking the car to the local DMV to get registered (so it passes a "visual inspection" of sorts LOL) - or do you actually have to present a letter from Toyota re: NHTSA and EPA standards?

·
Registered
167 Posts
shiz said:
2 words:

P##sy magnet lol hehehe

who are you, when did you get your 2? I take it its JDM? :thumbup

we should get toghether, talk mr2s :evillaugh
Yup, JDM indeed. Got it in November, finally got it safetied in December, drove it until last week monday and now it's parked for the cold weather.
http://www.mts.net/~gkstoesz/Internet/
check those out. I'm definitely in for talking MR2's some time. We should have an MR2 meet this summer. If you want pm me on heights, same user name.

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Barry said:
I wonder if you could get away with just having an airbag wheel installed from another MKII and taking the car to the local DMV to get registered (so it passes a "visual inspection" of sorts LOL) - or do you actually have to present a letter from Toyota re: NHTSA and EPA standards?

I already have a letter from Toyota stating that it DOES NOT pass NHTSA Standards. Because of this, I have to show customs that the work was done by a Registered Importer, These guys are all dealing with government and customs all the time so I doubt that they will "pretend" to throw in an airbag and risk losing their business.

If you really wanted to break the rules I suppose you could type a letter and impose it Toyota letter head! I wouldnt suggest doing it and I know I certainly wont......I love my car, but it aint worth jail time!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
88_si_lude said:
Yup, JDM indeed. Got it in November, finally got it safetied in December, drove it until last week monday and now it's parked for the cold weather.
http://www.mts.net/~gkstoesz/Internet/
check those out. I'm definitely in for talking MR2's some time. We should have an MR2 meet this summer. If you want pm me on heights, same user name.
Hey nice car!! looks similar to mine

Where were you this fall?? i organized the toyota meet last fall @ Assineboine park! :evillaugh Unfortunately you could count the amount of mr2s in winnipeg on one hand so i dont know wether an mr2 only meet would be very big :thumbdown
Anyway, we'll continue this on Heights. My username there is the same as here.

tibi

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok...the latest news but in no means the last post to this thread! My Registered Importer is telling me that Canadian 91 MR2's should have a sticker in the driver door jam that is a white circle with a maple leaf inside of it. This sticker, which I never paid much attention to, was above the white square sticker with VIN and gross weight info.

Apparently, the DOT in the states is stating that any Mr2 with this sticker in the door jam may NOT be allowed to be registered in the US! I was really hoping not to find this sticker present in my car. If your car doesnt have the sticker it could be cuz you pulled it off or it fell off! Unfortunatly, that doesnt mean you can register your car here!

Next, I find out (by giving him my VIN) if that is 100% true, and finally what work I will have to do (if possible) to import my car!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts