MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
San Diego is having its first ever rallyx next weekend, which may also be its last.. I really I have no idea, it's kindof a pilot event I guess. With this in mind and having never actually done it before I'm a little hesitant to just run out and get some rally specific race or snow tires. If this becomes a regular thing I was thinking those clearenced falkens look pretty good...

Anyway, I've got a set of near bald 195/60-14 falken azenis mounted on stock steelies that I couldn't care less about, but they're nearly bald, especially on the shoulders. I also have my street 16" koseis with 245 r and 225 f fk451s with decent tread, but I'm worried about breaking a wheel, and they're also pretty wide.

The surface is described as a top layer of silty-sand with a foundation of harder clay, rock and gravel free (backup horse track at del mar) if that makes any difference.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c38/2manycones/Del Mar_ SD Rally Cross/

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Well, I ran an event on sand with 245/45R16 Pilot Sports on my Eclipse and it was hideous. The MR2 has seen events with XGT H4s in 205/6R14 - 225/604R14 combo, and Arctic-Alpins in 185/65R14 - 195/65R14. None of them were very good, but narrower seems to be best...

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
.. i dont know if you'd ever get traction with bald azenis! maybe get some pos used all seasons mounted on the stock rims?

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
that looks like a road with a bit of dust

we rallycross on mud up here in oregon

try practicing left foot braking(on an automatic is easier)...so you can tap the brakes during slow tight understeering corners

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just kept my streets on and went out a slid around an had a blast. My codriver got 2nd in class so it can't be setup all that bad (though he can drive anything fast on any surface apparently too.)

I totally screwed that run up, but it was worth it just for that shot:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts