MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Lambo Doors Hinges

3K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  GoBlueTwo 
#1 ·
Hi do any one knoe if the directly bolt on kit for the Toyota Celica will fit on the Mk2 MR2, im sure they might not fit but how far away are the factory holes in the door jams from the Mr2 and the Celica, do any one have pics of them because im thinking about buying the directly bolt on kit for the Toyota Celica and custom fit it on the mr2 since they do not make em for the Mr2, but i think i seen them befor but well over a G, i found some on ebay for $500 ship for the celica http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7952690332&category=33642 any one think i should do this and would it be that hard? Any help will do and thanks Quang :evillaugh

#2 ·
THere is a guy across the seas that has developed a bolt on hinge kit with a gas prop that will convert the doors to lambo style I lost his email address but I think he was selling it for 565? Not bad considering its for the MR2 and it just bolts on.

#3 ·
I'm always interested in Lambo doors... for practicality. Seriously. I have a 1 car garage with NO space to open the doors regularly. I know that the doors will slant out when lambo-opened, but there's substantially more room up there than ground level.

I ain't payin no 1k for it, though. My sister has a 94 Celica, when she gets home I'll measure the differences and see if they might work. However, the door weight probably isn't the same. And I hear that most often the front fender must be rolled (not sure why).

I'll also try n' snap some pics, I'm sure that'd help!

#6 ·
#10 ·
i remembered some guy in i think germany made a kit , SILO his name was on the message board. he even had a video of it somewhere on this board . im at work right now prob find it later and post it up .

#11 ·
I just noticed that the kit you were looking at was for a 2000+ Celica. All of the Celica kits come for that year and newer that I could find on ebay... I'm not so sure if the door patter/layout is the same on my sister's 94. (the MR2 and 94 Celica seem to have very similar looks) Anyone have a newer Celica?

Of course, it might be better to wait on the guy in that other thread... seems like he's gonna be selling sort of soon. That would rock!

#14 ·
i have no idea yet, i don't want to price it yet, since i don't know the cost of manufacturing them yet. But I'm on it..
Just talked to the company who's gonna make the damper, and the said it is impossible. Ill have to find a damper that already exists on the market, and then modify the hinges to fit the damper.

#18 ·
Zvampen,

Do your lambo doors move straight up or does it have to open sideways like a regular door and THEN it'd move up?? I understand that due to the nature of our doors, it is impossible to have it straight up, so it'd be tilted on an angle, do you know how steep that angle will be? Also, reason why i'm asking is because i saw this prelude the other day, and the guy did that, but when i saw him opening his door, he had to push it outwards like a regular door, and THEN push it upwards, so it seems kinda redundent to me to open the door "twice"....i think i like this on my mr2 too, but that was one of my concerns...

Is it just door hinges holding it up, or is there like hydraulics like a trunk door opener or something? if it is just hinges, would it hold up after wear and tear?

sorry i'm so neaty picky about these details....thanx.

Gary.

#19 ·
Yes, you got to push it outwards.
How much...i can't tell exactly, we did a good job, and you got to open as much as needed for the inside panel to clear the fender.
You don't really have to push it up...the shock we use is strong, it pulls the door up pretty easily!

#21 ·
tilus said:
Yes, you got to push it out wards.
How much...i can't tell exactly, we did a good job, and you got to open as much as needed for the inside panel to clear the fender.
You don't really have to push it up...the shock we use is strong, it pulls the door up pretty easily!
It works like the quote. But on my kit there is a screw that makes you set the width of the opening, before you lift the door. You can screw it in, and the door will stop right after it clears the lock-mechanism in the door-side, and you can lift it up, or you don't use the stop-screw at all, and you got a door that works like normal, if you don't choose to lift it up. Its hard to explain in Swedish, even harder to explain in English. I haven't got any numbers of the angle when fully lifted, but it will lift it as high as shown in the pics a few posts up/back. There is also a solid stopper that stops you from pulling the door down when its to close to the body, so that you cant slam it in to body of the car, you will need to clear the stopper by dragging the door down in a sweeping move. The kit is made in a way so that you cant harm your car by using it the wrong way...sry about the grammar, I'm tired and i don't even use the "spel check".

#23 ·
The C2 kit also has adjustability every way you can imagine, my door closing better then it was with the stock hinge, and i got less water leaks around the sealings.

By looking at your the pictures Zvampen , the door coud be raised a bit higher for better acsess while getting in and out!

#25 ·
Offcourse, try to find a solution to stop the movement of the shock in both ends, it can get nasty!
Don't rely on the shocks stopper, and use a damped shock...it can get really nasty, no one wants to be hurt because of a stupid flashy door :-D

The price on the C2power site is the european retail price including local 25% tax, i can organise a better deal if you guys need a few set.

#26 ·
The C2power kit seems nice, but with the current values of the dollar/euro, the price for it comes to 1535.91, w/o shipping. You'd have to knock off 535.91 USD to get it even with most other kits (GT Fatory for instance), plus an undefined amount more since no one wants to pay that much. So after factoring shipping in, it probably would have to be a 50% off sale for any US buyers to realistically be interested. But that kit seems pretty interesting, using springs. I'd have never thought of that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.