MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to race my car full time in BS. Normally I would jump on the KOnis, but the MR2 Konis are almost 70% more than the ones I paid for for the Miata. I dont understand why it is so much. Are there advantages to the Konis other than the lifetime warranty? Why should I buy the Koni over the other two? lastly which one rides the nicest? I have the KYB AGX with the TRD springs now, the ride is unbearable. Are the Tokicos or Koni on stock springs going to be better?

·
Registered
740 Posts
the kyb's have too much compression damping and not enough rebound damping. It explains why they are harsh riding. I'd avoid them for any serious racing.
The tokico's are better than the kyb's IMO. They ride nicer, and the compression damping is not so high in comparison to the rebound damping.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Dr. Pepper said:
the kyb's have too much compression damping and not enough rebound damping. It explains why they are harsh riding. I'd avoid them for any serious racing.
The tokico's are better than the kyb's IMO. They ride nicer, and the compression damping is not so high in comparison to the rebound damping.
With this being said you are saying that the harsh ride is caused more by the KYB struts then the TRD Springs?

·
Registered
740 Posts
not2fast said:
With this being said you are saying that the harsh ride is caused more by the KYB struts then the TRD Springs?
definately. Seems that the concensus on this board is that most people who have KYB AGX complain of a harsh ride.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
All of the struts come with a lifetime warrantee, so you can eliminate that as a consideration.

The Konis can be dialed down to a softer setting than the other two and offers 'infinite' adjustability within the adjustment range (rather than clicks).

·
Registered
595 Posts
I was planning on ordering Konis for my Mk1 very shortly, because I was under the impression that they were markedly better than the Tokicos. I was told by somebody (forgot who) that the Tokicos have more of a tendency to allow wheels to leave the pavement because of the type of adjustment they're capable of. I tend to race on some pretty bumpy stuff, so a couple hundred extra to keep that from happening seems worth it. :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
My experience with Tokicos aren't that good.
They keep blowing out. Performance wise, I don't think I really have the skill and experience to really back up any claims of how much faster (or slower) they make me. As far as I could tell, they seem very capable of damping the oscillations of a car that has close to 3CPS suspension frequency. But as for longevity? Good luck.

Problem is I'm not so sure if I can afford Konis myself. I've been sticking to Tokicos because my car came with it, and the warranty is a nice feature. (I just neglect to to tell them that I autocross - they're not warrantied for racing. Then again, it's not racing, it's 'participating in a time trial event in a maze of cones')

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about the Bilstein HD? They are not externally adjustable, so prob ably not good for racing

·
Registered
298 Posts
You get what you paid for. My friend has AGXs and they're killing him. I had tokikos on my old car and it wasn't THAT great, but it was cheaper than konis and the softest setting was decent for daily driving. Definitely planning to consider Konis if I choose to upgrade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts