MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience using the KYB GR2 struts with Eibach Sportlines? I am currrently running worn KYB AGX's and am looking for something to replace them with. I don't really need the adjustability because it is a daily driver and most of the time I left the AGX's at "2". I had the GR2's on my old Accord with H&R springs and thought it was decent but I think the Sportlines may be a little more aggressive. I am just looking for a well-controlled ride with no bounciness. I don't mind if it is a little stiff. I would go for the Koni's or Tokico's but it seems like a waste to pay for adjustability that I am rarely going to use. I do put about 30,000 miles a year on my car and would like something that would last at least a year or two. I have not been impressed with the AGX's but i don' tknow what kind of abuse they were put through before I got them (they were on the car when I bought it.)

I've seen a few posts about the GR2s but have never seen anyone with first hand experience.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I personally run my mkI SC with that setup.It been 1 season i run with it and it's the last!

The problem ain't the spring but the shock them self, it look like am not the first one. KYB GR2 are OEM Replacement that it, they are not performance shock and they really don't like stiffer spring trust me!

Personally am going to get Koni Yellow shock cause since i have the GR2 i always feel that the car will break in part on some street (I live in Quebec and some road are just discusting).

I had the oppurtunity to drive a lot of MR2 and different suspension setup on them and personally i would suggest you to go either in the Tokico or Koni for shock.

Koni Yellow are the more expensive but are so worth the expense.

·
Registered
601 Posts
From what i understand they only make the GR2 for the front of the mkii. that could have changed, but that is what i have last heard.

john
91T

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
the gr2 from my experiance in my corolla not a mr2. will bottom out during bumps. they were firm but only for a summer then they kicked the bucket. if your on a budget go ahead but if you like how a firm suspension handles they are not the best choice. try looking at other choice for a 100 or two more.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I have GR2/tein stech setup and it runs fine for daily driving. I wouldnt recommend for track use because the GR2's are an OEM replacement and wont last very long with lowered setup. They are slightly stiffer than stock, nothing unbearable. As for quality you get what you pay for. If you dont want adjustability I'd go for Bilsteins, pricey but great.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
i had sportlines and kyb gr2's on my celica and i loved it, handled incredbaly and was a smooth ride...why does it suck so much on the mr2?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
trust me the gr2's are not good they bottom out like no tomorrow. drive it fast through bumps you'll know what I mean.

·
Registered
738 Posts
yea i have this setup on my mk2...wow it is very stiff i don not like it...everything is starting to go like my strut mounts and lots of other things....the only good thing i can say about these is that the handling aspect is incrediable thats the only reason i like them so thats why i wanna get the tokikos or something not as stiff with proboly sportlines......

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For future reference.. this was NOT a good combination (GR2's with Sportlines)

I've driven on them for about 10K miles now and I hate the GR2's, have since the night I drove it out of the garage with them on. They do not have enough damping for these springs.

I am ordering a set of Koni's now to try to fix that.. the GR2's were a bad place to cheap out.

Tony

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The ride is soft, bouncy. Hate it. I don't mind a stiff ride as long as the car doesn't pitch and bound over every little bump in the pavement.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
hmm... maybe you just got a bad set... my GR2's are pretty stiff and gives me a satisfactory sporty ride paired with my Tein stecs springs. Maybe its the road difference?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ND4SPEEDMR2 said:
hmm... maybe you just got a bad set... my GR2's are pretty stiff and gives me a satisfactory sporty ride paired with my Tein stecs springs. Maybe its the road difference?
The Eibach Sportlines have higher spring rates front and rear than the Tein S-Techs. I'm sure the GR2 would be more suitable for springs with lower rates.

Anyways, just ordered a set of Koni Yellow's. Hopefully I'll have them on the car by the end of the week. Can't wait.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mr2quiK said:
what about GR2s and H&R's
I have not used this combination but based on my experience I would not recommend them for anything but stock springs. As you can see from the sticky in this thread, the H&R has a higher spring rate in front than the stock springs (and the Sportlines, for that matter.)

·
Registered
725 Posts
blacksw22 said:
I have not used this combination but based on my experience I would not recommend them for anything but stock springs. As you can see from the sticky in this thread, the H&R has a higher spring rate in front than the stock springs (and the Sportlines, for that matter.)
so what would you recomend for a better shock. im looking for best ryde confort with my H&R's.

edit: sorry not tryin to highjack your thead..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts