MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired an 86 (Feb) MR2 (na) and the engine is shot. Is there a "shopping" list for the parts someone can share for a swap or would it be more cost effective to rebuild and put a turbo or supercharger on? I'm looking for about 250hp

Regards

·
Super Moderator
91t gen5
6,984 Posts
What are your skills and budget?
That's an excellent question to start with. Mounting an intercooler isn't easy on a AW11. Are you willing to give up your trunk and drill holes large enough for intercooler pipes to pass through?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Skill set is moderate I worked at a garage for a few years in my twenties. I'm willing to go up to 8000. I Would be willing to lose the trunk.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Oh yeah, are you looking for 250 whp or chp? Have you been in a high power AW11? I'm running around 180 crank in mine and it's a riot; super easy to get yourself into some serious code brown if you aren't careful. Don't forget that these cars are ~2350 lbs ready to drive, they don't take a ton of power to move.

Manon Racing makes turbo kits that will support that much power. You'll then need to build up the bottom end to handle it. 250 crank is doable with the stouter 4AGZE rods and a set of forged pistons. You can probably get away with 9:1 compression if you keep your squish gaps tight and your tune doesn't break anything.

You'll then need to sort out all of the intake piping, intercooler, intercooler radiator, the rest of the exhaust, wiring, engine management, heat management, and a bunch of small things I'm forgetting at the moment.

You'll also need to think through a transmission upgrade, or be 'ril careful to not launch the car. The stock C50 has a couple of weak points in the differential side output shaft bearing, and the 4th gear section of the input shaft. Newer C56 transmissions from the silvertop 4AGE's are stronger in these areas and should be good for 250 crank as long as you're not wanting to do drag launches.

At the end of the day, $8k will be tight on getting a 4AGE up to 250hp if you have to farm out any of the required fabrication work yourself.

The pop ups/ad situation at mr2.com has gotten pretty out of hand, but here's the turbo build thread I wrote up over there. Click at your peril :\.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah, are you looking for 250 whp or chp? Have you been in a high power AW11? I'm running around 180 crank in mine and it's a riot; super easy to get yourself into some serious code brown if you aren't careful. Don't forget that these cars are ~2350 lbs ready to drive, they don't take a ton of power to move.

Manon Racing makes turbo kits that will support that much power. You'll then need to build up the bottom end to handle it. 250 crank is doable with the stouter 4AGZE rods and a set of forged pistons. You can probably get away with 9:1 compression if you keep your squish gaps tight and your tune doesn't break anything.

You'll then need to sort out all of the intake piping, intercooler, intercooler radiator, the rest of the exhaust, wiring, engine management, heat management, and a bunch of small things I'm forgetting at the moment.

You'll also need to think through a transmission upgrade, or be 'ril careful to not launch the car. The stock C50 has a couple of weak points in the differential side output shaft bearing, and the 4th gear section of the input shaft. Newer C56 transmissions from the silvertop 4AGE's are stronger in these areas and should be good for 250 crank as long as you're not wanting to do drag launches.

At the end of the day, $8k will be tight on getting a 4AGE up to 250hp if you have to farm out any of the required fabrication work yourself.

The pop ups/ad situation at mr2.com has gotten pretty out of hand, but here's the turbo build thread I wrote up over there. Click at your peril :\.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Appreciate the info. If 180 is a riot maybe I start with that.
A 1MZ swap would be right around there, I think they are supposed to be 190 at the crank. Mine cost much less than $8000 to build, I did everything myself in my garage at home. The car is a blast to drive now and hasn't given me any trouble at the track.

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
A K-24 with bolt ons and a good tune will probably make 240 or so. Add a set of cams and you're at 260ish. Either way it would be bullet proof and more reliable than a boosted 4age. You will also have OBD2 for diagnostics.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you want an 'in between' 4AGE and K look at the 7AGE. 8.5mm longer stroke will give you a better torque range N/A or turbo. Problems with AGE builds are the waning supply or parts. If you have the cheese and abilities, go with the K-swap. The K is reliable, has an aftermarket that is still growing and the engines are plentiful. If you live in the realm of the smog Nazis the K-swap would be the choice as the approved aftermarket mods can get you to some pretty high outputs. The 4AGE has a C.A.R.B. E.O.ed set of headers that are rediculously hard to find and since they don't have the E.O. number stamper onto them the test techs won't accept them without a big hassle.

I liked the 7AGE from the git, it was a chepa upgrade for a budget build where just changing the pistons and popping on a 4AGE head(oversimplified process) and getting the cam timing right netted a little more HP and increased the torque substantially making the car a lot more fun. Building a 7AGE is not much more than building a 4AGE but needs a little bit extra attention, like the oil pump outlet to block oil holes are slightly off when using a 4AGE oil pump and the cam timing. For high output 7As a block girdle is recommended. Stuff like that. Good thing about the 7A is it bolts right up so the cast and time of the adapting any other engine is not an issue. On the downside, the 7A block is starting to be harder to find. For a 7A block look into bug eye Celicas and AE111 body style Corollas('95-'98).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts