MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on getting a set of K1's from tirerack in 16x7.5F ET32 and 16x8.5R ET37.

I see some guys running 215x40x16F and 245x45x16R. . .Does the 5mm less sidewall up front look weird?

I guess I'm asking what is the best setup for no rubbing issues at all, and uniform looks, no "jacked up back" look on those rims above. . .

I will be tracking this car so I want to make sure handling is at it's best.

Thanks.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
I just ordered those rims yesterday :)
I bought the 15X7 fronts and 16X8.5 rears. I will be running a 225/45/15 and a 265/45/16.

I prefer the staggered rim diameters.
J&H both have 16s front and 17s rear on the street.

If you look at photos of J&H with the Enkeis I run on the street, you will see the 215/40/16s upfront that you asked about. I ran a 235/45/17 in the rear.
I think they look great and the handling has been awesome. This is the set up that I was Solo 1 hill climb racing on.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Those wheel and tire sizes are no problem, and in my opinion look great. Jeff, which tires are you going to run in a 265/45/16?

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
the first number, 215 is mm. the second number, 40 is a % of the first number. it's not a simple 5mm drop.
check the basic wheel info sticky for a link to a tire size calculator to see the difference in sidewall height and overall diameter.

your tire choices will work regardless of the above info, that's just fyi above.
you should be able to sqeeze a 225/45 16 up front if you like as well.

jekyl will be using kumho dot legal race tires in 265/45 16. I don't recall if it's the ecsta, victo, or v710..

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EL PAALO said:
the first number, 215 is mm. the second number, 40 is a % of the first number. it's not a simple 5mm drop.
check the basic wheel info sticky for a link to a tire size calculator to see the difference in sidewall height and overall diameter.

your tire choices will work regardless of the above info, that's just fyi above.
you should be able to sqeeze a 225/45 16 up front if you like as well.

jekyl will be using kumho dot legal race tires in 265/45 16. I don't recall if it's the ecsta, victo, or v710..
Cool, EL PAALO one other question, one other post I read mentioned a guy that had 205x45x16 on a 7.5" Kosei rim and he didn't like the look cause it stuck out???? With a 32mm offset and the 215x40x16, do I have to worry about the rim sticking out?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, one other question guys, as I'm planning on road racing, is the 215F and 245R tire width ok or is it too much of a differeance and will it hamper handling?

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
tire size switches, as long as you're gaining contact patch don't hamper handling, but they may change it some.
should be a nice setup, possibly a little less oversteer.

oh, forgot, the 215 should be straight up and down on a 7.5 (possibly a very mild stretch. you shouldn't see a gap between wheel lip and tire with that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
EL PAALO said:
tire size switches, as long as you're gaining contact patch don't hamper handling, but they may change it some.
should be a nice setup, possibly a little less oversteer.

oh, forgot, the 215 should be straight up and down on a 7.5 (possibly a very mild stretch. you shouldn't see a gap between wheel lip and tire with that.
Sounds good, looking at the stock offset wheels for the 91 MR @ 45 both front and rear, I shouldn't worry about the 32F and 37R? The front wheel wont stick out from the fender?

Lastly EL PAALO, you mentioned I could probably squeeze 225/45/16's on the front rim, could this be accomplished without any rubbing or strange appearance?

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
the wheels will not stick out.
front is 3mm tuck inside fender, rear is 8mm tuck give or take a mm. I suppose you could make them stick out with lots of positive camber. :p

I would ask one of the guys that's used 225/45 16 up front. afaik, it's not a problem assuming you have a fairly flush front offset (and you do).

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I have k1s with a 225/45-16 up front and they fit fine.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Anyone want to post pics of their car with K1's? :)

Also, are they offered in 17's for the mr2?
(EDIT : I noticed tirerack has a 17x7.5, but no 8.5, Is there a 17x8.5 anywhere? )

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
JsnMR2 said:
Anyone want to post pics of their car with K1's?
I am going to be test fitting mine on Jekyl tomorrow (Sunday).
I'll grab some photos.

I am expecting fitment issues since the rearend of Jekyl has not been modified to accomodate 265s, like Hyde has been :D

"IF" I get them on and "IF" I can lower the car on them, I will get some photos ... I would love to take them for a spin, but I doubt I will be able to.

·
5,341 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I bought the same setup as Jeff with 15x7s front, 16x8.5 rears to replace my heavy 17s. 15x7s come only in white at Tirerack so I'm getting them professionally painted to the same silver as the rears - they should be ready early next week and cost me an additional $80.00 for the job.

I'll be fitting 225/50s on the front and 245/45s out back and I'll post pics in the 'What fits" sticky when they're mounted. With new '93 OEM springs/shocks they should look and handle pretty nice.

Hopefully, they'll look as good as this rendered image from Tirerack:

·
5,341 Posts
Oh, I forgot to use my rendered cartoon measuring tape. :rolleyes: :p

Also, the 5 bolt K1 wheels for the MKII don't come with the center cap. Looks like Tirerack supplies only the 4x100 wheels with them but it's a separate part number - #K1CAP

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
RePete said:
Oh, I forgot to use my rendered cartoon measuring tape. :rolleyes: :p

Also, the 5 bolt K1 wheels for the MKII don't come with the center cap. Looks like Tirerack supplies only the 4x100 wheels with them but it's a separate part number - #K1CAP

I was talking about the silver car that EL PAALO posted. sorry for the confusion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts