MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are those white plastic washers with the slit in them for? I can't for the life of me figure it out and the instructions that came with the inserts are a little vague.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
dont worry about them, i didnt use them and it is fine...
confusing isnt it :D
also you may have to use some of the oem pices off of your car on the shock housing to fit with the koni shock inside... you will figer it out real quick :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually have the inserts all installed and fine. A friend of mine got me all worried "well Koni obviously didn't just send you those shims for the fun of it".

You would think that Koni sells enough struts in the US that they could spring the $500 it would cost to have sombody who speaks english write some decent directions.

The install was pretty funny I didn't even use spring compressors!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hillman said:
Apparently, they did. Must be that crazy Dutch humor.
HA, I guess the Koni factory may be a little too close to Amsterdam.

Do you think the guys at the Koni factory can make a gravity bong out of a Koni sport?

They sure make nice struts!

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
What is the actual purpose of the slits? I used them .. I think it's meant to cover the gland nut holes .. that's what it's doing right now on my MR2:).

Su

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
they are most likely shims. The koni shock body is a little bit shorter than the stock strut cartridge. in some cases the gland nut will bottom out before tightening to the cartidge and the cartridge will rattle inside the housing. It makes a clunking sound.

I've seen plastic rings that go above the cartridge and metal disks that sitt in the bottom of the housing. anything to take up the room.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Pretty sure its a cover to go over gland nut. Don't think the plastic material would ever survive as a shim.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
truebluemr2 said:
Pretty sure its a cover to go over gland nut. Don't think the plastic material would ever survive as a shim.
I didn't think so either but I didn't think it would stay in place as a cover over the gland nut. My only fear was that it was some kind of cheesy bushing for between the strut mount bearing and the top of the strut assembly.

Did anybody actually use a Koni tool with the two prongs on it to put the gland nut on either? I couldn't find anything that would work so I used a pipe wrench and a rag just like Cooter taught me when I went to HCTI (Hazard County Technical Institute). :smile:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
truebluemr2 said:
The instructions clearly show putting it on AFTER tightening the gland nut. Can only guess what it is for though.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I think its just keeps some of the muck out of the holes in the gland nut.

We didn't use a Koni tool, but fabbed up our own version using a 2" section of pipe of the right diameter, and two bolts welded on as the prongs. Welded on some handles onto that and it worked pretty well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts