MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had both or driven both? I am trying to decide between the two and wanted some feedback. This will be a track and street driven car, so it will have to survive road race weekends and weekday trips around town. It is not a daily driver though, so keep that in mind. Any feedback you guys have would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Koni if you can afford them. Tokico if you can only afford them.
KYB if you can't afford the first two. Driven 'em all, and you get what you pay
for.

·
Registered
562 Posts
i used to have Konis on my old car i liked them alot.....i have KYBs on my car now and they are ok but i think next time i will get Konis

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Konis I rode on were nice and soft on softest, and bone jarring on hardest.

All the of the KYB AGX's I've ridden in have felt harsh, even on the softest setting.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I have no gripe with the KYB, albeit they are a little stiffer. But compared to 120k shox, they were much better.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Dubk said:
I have no gripe with the KYB, albeit they are a little stiffer. But compared to 120k shox, they were much better.
imo, it's true that the initial cost is lower but koni offers lifetime warranty to the original purchaser so it is more economic to go with koni in the long run

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Where is a good place to get Koni Yellows?

And you guys are saying they are better than Tokikos?

Are the konis inserts or the whole strut assembly?

·
Two 2s - 93T, 88 SC
2,965 Posts
TwoSRUs.com sells Konis.

Konis are the best insert. Everyone says that. I have them on my 88 and Tokico Illuminas on my 93, and the Konis are better because the range of adjustability is better - softer on soft - stiffer on stiff.

Konis are inserts, like the Tokicos and KYB. Your profile says you have a 91, so you will have strut inserts that are replaceable, unless some previous owner had them replaced with all-in-one units - hopefully not.

John
93T, 88 SC

·
Registered
91 Posts
boostd4 said:
Konis I rode on were nice and soft on softest, and bone jarring on hardest.

All the of the KYB AGX's I've ridden in have felt harsh, even on the softest setting.

I was gonna write the above almost exactly. I have KYBs now, my brother has Koni setup, we both run exact same springs on similar wheel/tire combos on our 91's, even same tires, and mine is punishing on the streets around town (of course, some of the streets around here have potholes big enough for my kid to play in) but I would definetely recommend Konis over KYBs. The Tokikos (used to have 'em) are intermediate and are almost as good as the Koni's in my opinion, just not quite as soft on the softest setting.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Well being that I can get the Tokikos for like 375 for ALL 4 and they want over 300 a side for the Konis.. I believe that is probabally going to be a factor in my purchase.

I appreciate all the help in this thread though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts