MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have this combo, do you think itll be a good setup? once that gets done ill be purchasing trd sway bars and strut bars.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
koni yellows right? why are you only running the fronts? i play on getting koni yellows, and the h&r sport springs, how is the drop? can you post pics? hopefully it will look nice with my 15" slipstreams.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have the koni/H&R combo. If you are ever in east lansing, you are more than welcome to test them out. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other questions.

-Joe

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
msumr282 said:
I have the koni/H&R combo. If you are ever in east lansing, you are more than welcome to test them out. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other questions.

-Joe
is it too soft or too stiff for daily driving? i know definitions of soft and stiff might be different depending on the person , but yeah.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
luciddream how much did you get those slipstreams for. what offsets are they.

I think the ebiach pro kit is stiffer than the H&R springs.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rdyzz said:
luciddream how much did you get those slipstreams for. what offsets are they.

I think the ebiach pro kit is stiffer than the H&R springs.
the pro kits are really close to the stock spring rates, so i doubt that they are stiffer than the h&r's.

my slipstreams? ummm i dont know exactly what offset, but i got them with azenis for around 800 from discount tire. i probably got ripped off, i could have bought them online but, what happens when you blow a tire on the road, ya know?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
i got that set up. deffintly a good ride, and not as harsh as the AGX/Sportline on my NA. drop is good, about a 1 finger gap.

-vince

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NV2 said:
i got that set up. deffintly a good ride, and not as harsh as the AGX/Sportline on my NA. drop is good, about a 1 finger gap.

-vince
not as harsh? you probably mean not ass stiff? i dont want a ride too soft and i wouldnt mind something harder than the stock springs.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
luciddream what is you budget. you could probalablly buy some tein ss or bs for your mr2 for a good price. shop around.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dont really care about the price, im probably going to go with the koni yellows and h&r sport springs, for one the drop is about just right, and i want something pretty solid, not soft. the SS's are pretty soft, if you look on the stickie in the suspension forum about spring rates.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
the tein ss coil over have a 200 some lb spring rate up front and 400 some lb spring rate in the rear not to mentiopn tein macthed the springs together with the shocks. isn't that more than the H&R springs.

also have you tried looking in the sticky. it tells a good amount about how stiff som of these are.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rdyzz said:
the tein ss coil over have a 200 some lb spring rate up front and 400 some lb spring rate in the rear not to mentiopn tein macthed the springs together with the shocks. isn't that more than the H&R springs.

also have you tried looking in the sticky. it tells a good amount about how stiff som of these are.
yeah ive looked in the sticky, im looking to spend around 800 dollars on koni shocks and h&r springs.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
msumr282 said:

-Joe
do you really have to slow down alot over speed bumps?

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
the pro kits are really close to the stock spring rates
eh? they're not.

1991 Turbo
F: 130lb/in. linear
R: 209lb/in. linear

Eibach Pro-Kit
F: 100-210lb/in. progressive, 1.0"
R: 140-303lb/in. progressive, 1.0"

thats not even close man..

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TomsMR2 said:
eh? they're not.

1991 Turbo
F: 130lb/in. linear
R: 209lb/in. linear

Eibach Pro-Kit
F: 100-210lb/in. progressive, 1.0"
R: 140-303lb/in. progressive, 1.0"

thats not even close man..
well they are progressive so they arent going to feel as stiff, and the drop sucks. so yeah, im pretty much looking @ the Koni/HR combo, unless someone can convince me that the tein basics or tein ss coils are a better buy for the money.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Eibach says the Prokits are progressive. TRD says their springs are linear. The truth is somewhere in between.

IMO, all front springs are progressive to some extent. There just aren't enough coils to get a truly linear spring. In addition, the coils in my TRD fronts will progressively stack up. That makes them progressive in my book.

Rear springs are a different story. Afaik, everybody makes linear springs with dead coils to keep the springs from coming loose in the strut. The 140# rate that Eibach quotes is with the dead coils extended. It doesn't mean very much.

Mike R

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
from what it looks like linier springs have coils that are the same size and length through out the whole spring. all the coils look the same. and progressive have small coils going to large coils. im guessing the smaller ones are the stiff part of it. so when the large coils gets compressed the small coils take over. so the eibach is 140 at its softest and 303 at its hardest. what I don't get is how that is soft compared to the H&R. at 303lb it should be stiffer. or is it that since the H&R is linier it has a different path of movement. such as not changing from soft to stiff then to soft again at corner exit and needing body roll to make it stiffer?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
The spacing of the coils is what counts. When a load is placed on a spring, all the coils are compressed closer together. The narrowly spaced coils will close up fairly quickly.

Ideally, the so-called dead coils would only unstack when the car is up on jack stands. Its not unusual for them to unstack coming off a bump strip or under heavy braking though. I had some springs that required over 500# of load to close up the dead coils and they were constantly unstacking and re-stacking. Fortunaltely, the TRD's I have now are much better in that regard.

Mike R

1 - 20 of 21 Posts