MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'll explain this question the best that I can.
Im getting a few grand for a bonus soon (and more in a couple months). Ive got a big purchase in mind (gf to fiance?), but will have funds to look at other things for the car - suspension is on my list. As is braking. But Im leaning towards suspension and thinking about koni struts.

I know it's an adjustable strut, but never used/worked with them personally.
When you are adjusting, are there 'clicks' for each of the five (or whatever it is) settings? Or just turn the knob (smoothly) X* to get to your firmer or softer settings?

I guess what Im asking is do you know all of your struts are equally dampening or is it an approximate? I know it's an odd question, just something I was thinking about while doing some reading on here on a Saturday night.
Im certain I'll do koni yellows, but next is sorting which spring - search search search!

·
Premium Member
13,460 Posts
On the Koni, the rebound adjuster is just a smooth turn. So you just count turns (or quarter turns) from full soft. The Koni double adjustables that I use in my coilovers have clicks on the compression damping, but the rebound is the same. Not that those are the ones you are looking at necessarily, just throwing it out there for info purposes.

·
Super Moderator
91t gen5
7,051 Posts
Honestly I have the regular konis and have no idea what they're supposed to be adjusted to.

·
Premium Member
13,460 Posts
Honestly I have the regular konis and have no idea what they're supposed to be adjusted to.
Whatever makes the car ride and handle as you like. I would start with full soft for a street car, and stiffen slightly if the car feels under damped (ie, bouncy).

Generally speaking, stiffen the front to lessen oversteer / increase understeer, stiffen the rear to lessen understeer / increase oversteer. And know that damper adjustments won't effect steady state behavior (ie, mid corner, when the suspension has settled and isn't really moving). Corner entry and corner exit are where damper adjustments make a difference in handling.

OMG, this is hilarious. I googled "rebound damping adjustment", just to see if I could refresh my memory on where in the corner rebound has the most effect (corner entry / corner exit), and clicked on this page:

What do I see half way down, but a shock dyno graph stolen from my website, that I created on my home made shock dyno!

·
Premium Member
13,460 Posts
I don't care that much, but I would appreciate if they cited their source, so yeah, I will probably send them an email. Or maybe a public comment on the article...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I run half a turn back from the softest setting for the street front and rear. Seems to be a good compromise. I might go back to try full soft since I have replaced my springs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got the Koni yellow and eibach pro spring kit and I've been happy with it. You can get it all for less than $1k

·
Registered
864 Posts
I don't care that much, but I would appreciate if they cited their source, so yeah, I will probably send them an email. Or maybe a public comment on the article...
You know you’ve made it big, when your work is being plagiarized.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts