MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been giving this thought quite some time now. It seems that it will be possible to ge the dors on the MR2 to open like the ones on a Koenigsegg. I have a design of the hinges in mind but befroe i begin iw old like to know whot you guys think of this idea. If you don know what a koenigsegg looks like here is a like to some pics and the official Koenigsegg website. Any feedback is apreciated.

http://www.koenigsegg.com/

·
Registered
3,358 Posts

Here's a pic. From what I remember from Top Gear, they're "dihedral synchro helix actuation doors"

In other words, it sound expensive to do.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
ChrisFL said:

Here's a pic. From what I remember from Top Gear, they're "dihedral synchro helix actuation doors"

In other words, it sound expensive to do.
How did those strap-ons get a cool job like that...*sigh*

:smile:

·
Registered
409 Posts
All right - who's gonna help me figure out a design for the hinge >:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already have the design in mind. I was just wondering what you guys think before i get on this project and waste a great deal of money. The only problem that i have encountered so far is the thikness of the door. hopefully the hinges will be done and working by the end of november. i dont have an mr2 to work on right now but i have a couple of civics that i can tear up.
I thinl these Koenigsegg doors will look a whole lot better on the mr2 than the lambo do. I used to have them on the mr2 i sold and i hated them fromthe day i put them on.
another feature that i am trying to add to the inge i am making is the spase to compensate in case i want to add a wide body. if anyone can tell me how much the wide body on the mr2 is wider than the original i would really apreciate it.
i hate typing but it seemes like i tiped another essay in this post. sorry about that.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
man, you need an mr2 to build this kinda project.

Its gonna be basically a door hinge that can move the door vertical + forward towards the front fenders. its pretty hard to do so good luck :thumbup

very nice but alot of people would be interested for sure :) like me if it looks clean and not a backyard job.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
if you could send me the design, i would take a crack at making a set and installing them on my mr2. I have access to a metal shop but i have no idea how these work so i need a design. Hell, if you could go as far as getting dimensions and stuff, that would really help too.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
my guess is, you would be using 2 motors and 1 actuator to get the desired effect, including rebuilding the whole door and i dont know if there would be enough space for the motor by area where the hinges are at.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Also to get the door windows to clear properly you'll need the auto-roll down 1/4 inch function that a lot of newer cars have with no window supports like the MR2.
Personally the doors are VERY cool but not practical in any way, if you park near a curb, bump, anything talled than an inch or 2 you'll bang the door into it every time, because the Koenisegg doors looks like they barely clear the ground in the garage...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i will not be using any electical actuators. it willbe all handr driven and controlled. nothing special or fancy. just one hydrolic actuator to even out the wieght distribution. i have access to metal and can weld. so will not need any help with that. right now i am working on the space broblem but that should be solved soon. as soon as i am done with the hinge i will post some pics of how it looks and works.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Well the problem is when you rely on hand driven or manual operated items, people forget, even the best of people.
I wouldn't think an auto down fuction would be that hard to implement off a switch in the door handle, you could probably even steal the internals from a car that already has it and adapt a linkage or what not.
Basically what I can see happening is people opening to closing the door with the window up and it catching on the a-pillar or roof line depending on the angle and worst case breaking thier window.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts