MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was thinking of getting this product, but I went back to my old thread and people were saying that if the MR2 was a true daily driver (which mine is), "it doesn't matter if your ignition components are in good shape, it only takes a tiny bit of water in the right place to screw things up."

http://www.koracing.net/img/fanshroud2thebeach2004.jpg
^^^As you can see in the picture, there is a fan on the right side where water can potentially get into the ignition components. Is this a good product for a daily driven MR2?

Link to the thread I found the pic http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=156556

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
I personally don't like having an open hole above the valve cover. Too many electronic things there and water in the plug wells can cause all sorts of drivability problems. People who have bought the VMax of Speed-Source dual shrouds from me have been given this opinion when buying. For a daily driver, I would either cram a 10" pusher into the stock rain guard (like I did on my own car) or go with the Speed-Source single fan shroud (which leaves the area over the valve cover solid).

This is just one of those things though....all you're going to get are opinions and opinions vary.

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
Ok my fans arent spal but they are push fans. I dont take my car out in the rain but sometimes get caught in it like everyone else and I have yet to have one problem with wet ignition.

i suppose it depends on the state of your ignition/plugs to begin with though.

one thing I will say and thats that the fans sound awesome and do a great job cooling!

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
Let me restate my opinion on this - for a daily driver, you should have no problems. BUT, when you park the car and it gets rained on, you could end up with trouble. When the fans are running, they keep anything from getting to the engine.

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
Well, my car is canadian so it sat lots of times on cold wet rain, sometimes over 2-3 days and never had probs.

I'm not disagreeing with your opinion just stating that i never had probs with mine either running or sitting!

Also, there are plenty of times that the fans dont run, when the temp sensor hasnt switched them on and your driving around in the rain and i would say there is a lot more potential for rain then too!

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
Hey, those are good data points. Might make me change my opinion! :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yellow2 said:
Also, there are plenty of times that the fans dont run, when the temp sensor hasnt switched them on and your driving around in the rain and i would say there is a lot more potential for rain then too!
just unplug the sensor :thumbup

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
David Hawkins said:
Hey, those are good data points. Might make me change my opinion! :)
Well, dont just take my word for it. I know the hard plastic cover that comes on the stock mr2 and it is designed specifically to keep water off of the plug and engine.

I'm sure there are other daily drivers out there that have had probs with these type of fan shrouds!

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
If you are using stock spark plug wires, they seal the valve cover openings, and you won't have any problems. I used to pour water directly on my engine, to rinse off the engine cleaner, and I never had any problems with ignition. I also had one of these engine lid shrouds installed on the car, and had no ill effects from rain coming through it.

Ken

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
If yiou are using OEM components, and they are in good condition, water/moisture in the eingine compartment will cause no problems. I sused to pressure wash my engine bay twice a year and never had any problem with moisture.

BTW, the OEM design also provides more than adequate airflow through the engine compartment, and there is no need for additional airflow/cooling.

bill

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
billwot said:
If yiou are using OEM components, and they are in good condition, water/moisture in the eingine compartment will cause no problems. I sused to pressure wash my engine bay twice a year and never had any problem with moisture.

BTW, the OEM design also provides more than adequate airflow through the engine compartment, and there is no need for additional airflow/cooling.

bill
I live in Florida where in the summer it is 85-95+ degrees every single day, and we get our tropical daily afternoon showers in the summer where the rain comes down HARD for about 10 min to 30 mins and then the road completley dries up in about 15 minutes (because of the heat).

I want these fans to cool things off a bit.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
KBlake said:
As long as you are at stock, or near stock, power levels.
As you realaize, its a liquid-cooled engine And the very capable liquid cooling system will maintain the OEM setting of 190-210F engine temps, even at significantly increased power levels.

Increasing power adds to the liquid cooling load, but since the engine does not get any hotter, increased power does not have any significant effect on engine compartment temps.

And at any normal driving speed, the design airflow through the engine compartment greatly exceeds the capability of any standard lid fans.

bill

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Besides, if you have enough power to overheat the engine bay, you're probably not using a sidemount IC so ambient engine bay temps won't really matter...does anyone have any real world test data on this?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
billwot said:
And at any normal driving speed, the design airflow through the engine compartment greatly exceeds the capability of any standard lid fans.

bill

I don't see how those fansetups don't infact inhibit airflow at speeds above 20 mph.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
I use an engine lid fan to prolong the life of the rubber and plastic components in the engine bay. It has nothing to do with actually cooling the engine. The connectors on my All Tracs have literally crumbled in my hands while my MR2 connectors are still push and pull like they were meant to be. When I'm on the highway, I pop the deck lid to allow air out around the sides in addition to what the fan is pushing.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
mr2bats said:
I don't see how those fansetups don't infact inhibit airflow at speeds above 20 mph.
Once you reach the speed where the design airflow exceeds the fan delivery, then yes, they are a restriction.

bill

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
I would also like to point out that just about every MR2 that I have seen lately has not had the 'scoop' under engine plastic panel. Mine ripped off at 45K miles and the replacement I got did itself in around 70K miles. Without that panel directing air up and into the engine compartment, I'd bet that the 'design airflow' is minimized almost to the point of being non-existant.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
David Hawkins said:
I would also like to point out that just about every MR2 that I have seen lately has not had the 'scoop' under engine plastic panel. Mine ripped off at 45K miles and the replacement I got did itself in around 70K miles. Without that panel directing air up and into the engine compartment, I'd bet that the 'design airflow' is minimized almost to the point of being non-existant.
And I'll bet you could have restored the design airflow by replacing the missing panel for a lot less money and time than installing 2 lid fans. And it would not have added any weioght, and would not add any engine load to produce power to operate it. :)

BTW, when i sold my '91T, it was 12 years old, and all of the OEM rubber and plastic components under the hood were still intact and showed no real deterioration. And I live in the coastal South.

bill

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
After having two ripped off on the highway, I gave up trying to keep it on the car :)

My fan isn't going anywhere, and it moves a lot more air than the 'design airflow' in every situation but highway driving.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts