MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious as of who has od had this set up and what your thought on it were. i allready have the SP but its on the stock DP and B-Pipe.

right now my goals are around 260-280ish. and i wanted to know if this would be suitible or if a full 3" would be better.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I went with the 3" TKO exhaust and it netted me ~10 rwhp over the Tanabe B-pipe/GReddy SP combo. This was at around the 300 rwhp level.

Alex

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
apun said:
I went with the 3" TKO exhaust and it netted me ~10 rwhp over the Tanabe B-pipe/GReddy SP combo. This was at around the 300 rwhp level.

Alex
Well there you go. The Tanabe B-pipe is 2.7", the the Greddy SP doesnt flow much more than the stock muffler. Going into a completely free-flowing exhaust will just mean more power at less boost.

·
Registered
199 Posts
the tanabe b-pipe requires you to drop the crossmember too...

i doubt thats an issue but just throwing it out there

·
Registered
117 Posts
The stock downpipe and B-pipe are very restrictive. Replacing it with a KO or high quality downpipe as well as a Tanabe B-Pipe would make a big difference. I did that with a stock exhaust and it was still a huge difference.

I also played with a KO downpipe and Greddy Power Extreme combo too, and it got more power as well as an extra pound of boost.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
silvertopterror said:
the tanabe b-pipe requires you to drop the crossmember too...

i doubt thats an issue but just throwing it out there
it doesnt require the crossmember to be dropped... as long as the car is high enough off the ground or on a lift then its a piece of cake...

·
Registered
684 Posts
kandie said:
how was the sound with your sp, and tanbe set up. and did you have a dp as weel
The sound was pretty quiet...until I hammered it (I have a downpipe, which happened to come with a T67 turbo!) :)

Alex

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
i have a custom 2.5 inch downpipe and my tanabe bpipe is currently on the way... im curious to how loud it will be with the stock muffler and the greddy sp... i plan on getting the sp but it might be a bit difficult now... so if anyone has sound clips or could break down the comparison that would be great...

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have almost this exact setup. I have a custom 2.5" DP that is identical to the KO, a custom 2.5" mid-pipe (with a flex in it) and the GReddy SP.

While I have not compared power on this setup with a 3" setup, I can tell you that going from stock to this setup added 2.5 PSI to my base boost (no controller) and made a very appreciable difference in performance and spool-up. I would think this mod alone is worth 20-25 hp on a stockish setup up to about 250WHP. I don't know how much more power a full 3" would make, but I wouldn't expect more than maybe 3-5 at the 250whp mark, and maybe 6-7 at 270-280 mark. I'm not sure if that justifies the cost of upgrading to a full 3", which would cost you about $1000 (TKO plus DP). I would think that $1000 would be better applied to a turbo or IC upgrade.

The sound with this setup is indeed louder than the OEM, but still reasonable, and it has a low rumble at idle. At WOT and at speeds over 90mph it is definately much louder than OEM, but not nearly as loud as any of the 3" systems I have been around, and not nearly as loud as PEX or ApexI GT (no silencer) either.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
awesome. well i guess i wont be using the ko dp and tanbe b pipe. cause correct me if i am wrong cause i am a little rusty on my geometry. but i went out and measured my greddy sp and the circumfrence of the piping is 7.6" which leads me to believe the diameter is about 3" right?

reason i researched is the sp was on the car when i bought it and it wasnt clarified whether or not the sp was for n/a or not.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thats why i am asking. i am not the best math freak. just need to know the diameter if the circumfrence is 7.6"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts