MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone own this http://www.turboxs.com/shop_car5.php?car=8
I think its the 8th item down. Its a simple led light that lights up when there is knock..... Some of you may bash this, But I think its a good idea....But geeze 130.00....I wonder if you could just wire a led inline with the knock sensor and get the same thing...Kind of like the tvis lights. I know we get valet mode when we get knock or whatever you want to call it, But I just thought it was neat and that I would share it with the board..

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
The link is not working.
Are you able to set the level?

Knock is relative to the engine and is not as simple as a light.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Like stated earlier, knock is relative. Most knock "meters" have degrees of knock. Besides,you would think that, if your still on the stock ecu, it could control the knock better and far before you could let off.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would imagine the factory knock suppression system would pull out timing long before you ever got that think to blink.

No, you can not just put an LED in-line with the knock sensor.

Does this thing have a programmable trigger level? Because if it doesn't, I don't see how they expect it to work on various engine models considering some engines are considerably more noise then others.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hum, better then what I was thinking it was.

However, I've noticed that free revving the engine produces considerably more noise then what the motor makes in gear during a pull. Not sure how that would effect the unit, but it is something I have definitely noticed while logging with the factory mitsubishi knock supression system.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Well,
I don't see why you couldn't build a circuit to trigger off the sensor to ECU signal wire.
In order to make it work better you would probably want to build a latchign circuit to hold the light on for a set time or until you shut the car off and back on.
I would probably build an RC timed circuit of like say 5 seconds after which it would reset thelatching circuit and the light goes off.
This all assuming the knock sensor outputs a simple, useful, triggerable signal and not one written in pentoctal binary from the planet zonk....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Kurdain said:
This all assuming the knock sensor outputs a simple, useful, triggerable signal and not one written in pentoctal binary from the planet zonk....
A knock sensor is a piezo microphone tuned to react to specific frequencies that are associated with knock on a particular motor... So no, its not easy to trigger off the signal. You could put an audio amplifier on the signal with some headphones and listen though... (don't try this at home unless you know what you are doing, of course!)

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
phattyduck said:
A knock sensor is a piezo microphone tuned to react to specific frequencies that are associated with knock on a particular motor... So no, its not easy to trigger off the signal. You could put an audio amplifier on the signal with some headphones and listen though... (don't try this at home unless you know what you are doing, of course!)

-Charlie
Yes, but I am sure it is converted to an electrical signal sometime before it enters the ECU, or I am sure there is an output that is directly triggered by the knock sensor, like the signal to pull timing or whatever....

I am not very knowledgable about the ECU stuff and what triggers what, but it has to be converted to an electrical signal somewhere otherwise the ECU couldn't use it.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Kurdain said:
Yes, but I am sure it is converted to an electrical signal sometime before it enters the ECU, or I am sure there is an output that is directly triggered by the knock sensor, like the signal to pull timing or whatever....

I am not very knowledgable about the ECU stuff and what triggers what, but it has to be converted to an electrical signal somewhere otherwise the ECU couldn't use it.

it is , the knock sensor never give a signal , it just gives electrical pulse

i.e. hook up a multi meter to it and smack it to some steel .. you'll see it start to give pulses , if you smakc it fast enough , you'll see the pulse start to be a a linair signal.

·
Registered
577 Posts
i sent a mail to turboxs asking if i could use the stock knocksensor but i haven`t got a answer.... do anyone here know if i can use the stock knock sensor??? or if i have to buy new one??

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
mr2matt said:
the knock sensor isn't a simple on-off switch
Unless you have tuning experience and have logged knock values...I think our point has been lost. :confused: :dontknow:

But yes...knock is relative...and not a simple YES or NO via a light...

Unless you can set the threshold for the light...it serves no purpose, not even as a warning.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
MISTER2 said:
Unless you have tuning experience and have logged knock values...I think our point has been lost. :confused: :dontknow:

But yes...knock is relative...and not a simple YES or NO via a light...

Unless you can set the threshold for the light...it serves no purpose, not even as a warning.
True enough. As a young kid I was very very into anything electronic. So all I know is that a piezo sensor isn't a switch, but a type of microphone. ;)

Theres no "converter" inline from the knock sensor to the ecu, its just a wire, straight to the ecu. As for a funtion triggered by knock, do a search for TVIS light.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts