MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A/B comparison with the same P/N off the car vs. new:
Fluke Ohms: Both open
DSO: New: as above Old: no trigger with identical settings and near identical, then more forceful, stimulous.
Old sensor has roughly 20 dyno pulls followed by 1,539 miles
573/86 = 6.67 kHz. Upping the Dominator to 6.87 kHz now that I know the stock sensor resonance.
We'll see how long this sensor lasts.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Did you buy a new Toyota knock sensor? They are expensive.

Any interested in testing the knock sensor that ATS sells?

To increase the scientific validity of this test you would have to build a rig that would allow a more consistent hit on the sensor. Something like 6 ounces dropped from 6 inches. Your experiment was fun none-the-less!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was not trying to test the uninstalled output level based on hammer taps (which is largely irrelevant), but to determine resonant frequency. Fr is independent of impulse amplitude. This is necessary to program the center frequency for knock detection in the Dominator. However this presumes the knock frequency for a stock engine is the same as mine. While the bore geometry hasn’t changed, a lot has. I wish I understood why the 3S-GTE engineers chose a higher frequency than bore diameter dictates.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Either I figure out why the stockers (1x$) time out so early, or there's a Plex (4x$) in my future. Per cyl knock detection would be nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts