MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

My name is Kez, from New Zealand living that student life :crying:
Just brought a 1990 GT MR2 with 240***kms on it and is pretty much bone stock. It's not in the most pristine condition but I've always wanted an MR2 and it runs pretty mint :wink2:
I've thrown on a lot larger wheels than the stock ones, planning all the typical suspension mods for handling benefits, but just wondering what would be a good, quick, simple turbo swap on it? The original CT26 is.... ish mish.... runs fine but sort of want to for something different? Maybe TD05? I'm a fool for turbo lag, love it heaps, so wanting something that big enough for the future plans (forged internals, built motor....etc) but not anything that is gonna blow the budget (or the engine). I can find TD05's for $500-$700 but just wondering how easy it is to fabricate/bolt these on? Anyone done this before? Will stock turbo system be acceptable for new turbo if I don't use high boost?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, sorry for late reply mate.
Would the stock 3sgte motor (239***kms on it) be alright to run 15psi? If not, what would be a safe boost to run? I am planning to do a rebuild also :)

Cheers

·
Registered
676 Posts
Don't rebuild until you have to. Does it use oil or show any signs that it's on it's way out?

When was the coolant last changed? Oil and filter? Ignition components? Plugs, leads, rotor and cap? If you don't know, replace the parts with genuine Toyota parts. NGK BKR6E plugs will be fine, or you could go for a BKR7E if you are going to be modifying more. Coolant red or green doesn't really matter, just don't mix them.

Once the car is up to spec, fit the ct20b, 3" downpipe and a 3" exhaust. There is plenty of fuel for any CT series turbo. Run only 98 and 15psi will give you plenty of performance.

Don't piss around with a TD05. Lots of work for very little results. Another guy tried an Evo8 turbo? Total waste of time, money and energy. Didn't even make 300 wheel horsepower. Lots of money spent in the wrong places.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Al-sw20!
I only purchased the car a few weeks ago but have not had time to collect it as it is half way down the country. Will do a full check over it when I pick it up this weekend but I do have a mate who's cleaning it up and all that jazz. What 3" exhaust system would be recommended as all I can find is ebay ones and nothing really in the NZ market.
Cheers

·
Registered
676 Posts
It depends how much you want to spend. My exhaust
(excluding downpipe) I think was about $500 all up, I got a stainless muffler off eBay with a silencer 3" inlet/outlet, flexi from Tyco Flow Control and got a local muffler shop to build me a 3" mandrel bent exhaust to suit the parts I supplied. The 3SGTE loves a large exhaust, gotta get those gases out quickly.

I like the Blitz Nur Spec, you can probably get one out of the UK, US or Japan. This would be $1000+

Motoria exhaust is quite cheap, quite noisy apparently though? eBay? Berk is the other option, these are more expensive but quieter.

There is 5/8ths of Sweet Fanny Adams available for the SW20 in NZ. For genuine Toyota parts you want to speak to Mark @ Manawatu Toyota parts dept. He will ship out all around the country and IMO has the best prices and service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts