MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a n/a 1991 mr2. It has power door locks but I was wondering if somehow I could add keyless entry? Any info would be great including...price of kit, how much work to install, where to buy, anything like that.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
There are several aftermarket keyless entry setups. The factory keyless entry required that you have the factory alarm system, and is very hard to find nowadays.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
any audio shop should be able to install an alarm or just keyless entry. You will have to check out on price in your area.

chris

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
I've got an aftermarket $500 Cliford alarm with keyless entry that was put on by the previous owner, it works pretty good, and I'm sure you could get one for cheaper... I couldn't believe the recipt when it said $500.. better be a pretty good alarm..

·
Registered
4 Posts
how to program keyless entry with factory alarm?

I have a 1991 MR2 with factory alarm but did not receive a remote with car. I have since purchased the correct remote but does anybody know how to program it, other than visiting a dealer? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, but a dealer verified it has keyless entry in existing theft deterrent system so I really prefer to stick with what's there, I just need to figure out how to program it.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
If you have a TDSE, you can use the remote. Do a search for 'TSDE' and you should find programming instructions. You'll have to find the TDSE brain in order to do the programming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not having much luck, what's TSDE stand for? I've searched for weeks and while it goes against my every core, I'm about ready to just go pay for it to be programmed. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I installed a Valet Keyless Entry System (712T) in my 93 turbo a month ago and it works great. This system also will arm and disarm the factory alarm system and costs around $75.

Send me a PM or email and I can give you detailed instructions on how to install it. This system can easily be installed in an afternoon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also have a 91 turbo with the factory alarm system with starter disable and would also like to know how to program the factory alarm system to run the keyless entry. What remote did u purchase to go with the unit?

Also does anyone know where the factory TDSE box is located? I haven't looked too hard yet but i just want to ensure it is what i hope it is :D

I've heard that if it is pre 91 then it is the standard alarm and does not support keyless entry. I'm hoping what I have is the actual TDSE box so alli have to do is buy the keyless remote and program. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
waynearndt said:
I'm not having much luck, what's TSDE stand for? I've searched for weeks and while it goes against my every core, I'm about ready to just go pay for it to be programmed. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Toyota TDSE (Theft Deterrent System Enhancement)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought remote with FCC ID #: BAB237131-022 off ebay, it matched visual inspection of what the dealer showed me. Even on ebay your'e looking at paying at least $20 for a used one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also found a PDF with transmitter information pm me email addy so i can forward to you. Shows how the stock TDSE remotes look like and what can be used to replace them. I'm pretty sure anyone who has the factory alarm and power door locks can program keyless entry.

·
Registered
394 Posts
TDSE was an option and very few MR2's have it. I think 93 or 94 was the first year to offer TDSE keyless option. Buying a keyless remote off of ebay isn't going to give you the keyless option unless someone installed the TDSE system. I looked for months trying to find the TSDE keyless option and ended up using the Valet 712 unit.

I have the original window sticker from my 93 turbo it didn't have the TDSE option and it had just about every option.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts