MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well 1/2 way installed.

How should I got about attaching the sides near the wheel well???

anyway the lip was painted 3E5 (super red) lol.... The rest of the paint now looks like crap..haha...The car has not been washed in a couple months and is very dirty, and needs alot of glaze and wax to look even nearly close to the new paint...But I plan on painting the whole car eventually so it's fine.

BEFORE pics:





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DURING pics:



BryanH Race trim style ;) haha





Check out my front mount heat exchanger ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AFTER pics







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More:





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah.. please note that there is no engine/tranny in the car so the stance is slightly higher than what it would be.

Marco
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah.. its very BRIGHT... and the car well isn't so much ;)

And the sides of the lip are not attached
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any one know the best way to attach the sides??? shoul I just drill a couple holes (on the part inside the wheel well) and bolt it on??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,809 Posts
Hmm, whats you opinion on it? IMO, I don't think it looks any better than stock, but thats just me, maybe. Actually, I prefer the stock 87+ look. Is it lower than the stock front, doesn't really look like it. Looks like a bulky stock piece, actually.

Otherwise, your MK1 is one of the best looking on here, no doubt.


How are the wheels attached in the back if you have no trans or engine back there?


Todd
87sc
www.cardomain.com/id/tksmr2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I really do like the stock 87+ front except for three things.

1) The certain angles from the side where it disappears from view but you still see the bumper pointing out.
2) The center part where they join together
3) It seems to point up a tad bit, rather than being parallel to the ground.

The BC lip being a bulky stock piece.. is exactly what I think it looks like, and I like it.

If someone made a one-piece FG stock 87+ with a few subtle changes to it... I'd be all over it.. But for now I think that the BC is the best out there.

I think the side parts of the lip mimic the stock side skirts style really well.

It is a bit lower than the stock front, but not by much.

Thank you for the Compliment Todd!!! Becasue I love your mk1, and I think it is one of the best looking mk1s out there.

About the wheels... I dont see how the lightweight engine-less back end can mess up the wheel bearings.. all the suspension components are attached and torqued.

Marco
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,846 Posts
Yeah but the axle holds the wheel bearing together.. I have a set of NA axles I torched the hub ends off of and I use those to roll cars around..

Oh, and nice lip :) I'm thinking of getting a carbon/fiberglass one for my project car..

Brando
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I mean the hub is pressed in..... I know the axle bolt 'holds' it on but I am not rolling this car around... I mean if you got a crow bar, do you think you could pry my hub out? Hehe... BTW these are freshly replaced hubs and bearings... I see your point though ... oh well.. The car will be back in the air again by the weekend anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,809 Posts
uspspro said:
Well I really do like the stock 87+ front except for three things.

1) The certain angles from the side where it disappears from view but you still see the bumper pointing out.
2) The center part where they join together
3) It seems to point up a tad bit, rather than being parallel to the ground.

The BC lip being a bulky stock piece.. is exactly what I think it looks like, and I like it.

If someone made a one-piece FG stock 87+ with a few subtle changes to it... I'd be all over it.. But for now I think that the BC is the best out there.

I think the side parts of the lip mimic the stock side skirts style really well.

It is a bit lower than the stock front, but not by much.

Thank you for the Compliment Todd!!! Becasue I love your mk1, and I think it is one of the best looking mk1s out there.

About the wheels... I dont see how the lightweight engine-less back end can mess up the wheel bearings.. all the suspension components are attached and torqued.

Marco

Cool.. cool.. it looks like your stock one was hit a few times causing some of support brackets to bend maybe, causing it to look a little droopy in some of those pics. I know my stock one is perfectly straight all across. I just had it repainted too. I don't mind the piece the separates it in the middle, but I get what your saying. I think it's more flexible b/c it has that separation in the middle too. It's also urethane instead of glass like Buddy Club one is. That is one of the major reasons I like the stock one so much other than I wish it was just a tad lower, a very little tad.

Thanks for your compliment! :)

Just a question about the engine. I believe you could hurt the wheel bearings from what others have mentioned in the past on this board. I could very well be wrong though b/c I never had to do that.


Todd
87sc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,197 Posts
Looks great! I can't wait to get mine installed. I'm trying to get ahold of an 87+ front valence assembly so I can work on getting it installed.

BRANDO0o0O said:
Oh, and nice lip :) I'm thinking of getting a carbon/fiberglass one for my project car..

Brando
The CF/FG lip looks great, I highly recommend spending the extra cash for it. :thumbup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
uspspro said:
Any one know the best way to attach the sides??? shoul I just drill a couple holes (on the part inside the wheel well) and bolt it on??
Still wondering the answer to this??? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,809 Posts
uspspro said:
Still wondering the answer to this??? ;)


Hmm.. I wouldn't do anything to expose bolts or screws that you will be able to see from the sides. I would try double sided 3M tape if you think that will work.. I dunno. Maybe ask Ken at KDGarage what he would do.


Todd
87sc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i think autozone has some 3m "trim attacher" strips.

email sent to Ken.
 
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Top