MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just weighed my car using automotive tire scales. Its a 93 NA, T-top, Manual tranny, power locks windows and spoiler, and I had about half tank of gas and about 30 lbs of other junk in there (car seat covers, backpack, tire pump, etc) and it pulled in at 2730 lbs. I was a little suprised. I thought it would have been 2800lbs.

On a side note, I know have ran over my 5th nail since August...I'm so freaking tired of patching my tires....all four of my tires now have a plug. I want to install a strong electromagnet in front of my bumper to pick up the nails...arghhh

·
Registered
438 Posts
jarhead_jr said:
On a side note, I know have ran over my 5th nail since August...I'm so freaking tired of patching my tires....all four of my tires now have a plug. I want to install a strong electromagnet in front of my bumper to pick up the nails...arghhh
Where do you work? A construction site?

I think the electromagnet may make the car more nose heavy.

On a serious not, maybe the 1/2 tank of fuel was reponsible for the lighter weight. Also, i think M/Ts tend to be a tad lighter than A/Ts.

Congratulations on a pleasing result though.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Hopefully you won't ever have to thank Toyota for a solid steel front end. Many, many people have survived front end collisions because of this.

They could've lightened things a bit up front, but they knew the performance of the turbo, and Toyota has usually been about safety. So, I'll take ~2700lbs for another chance at living, and probably enjoying another MR2.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
rupes said:
Where do you work? A construction site?

I think the electromagnet may make the car more nose heavy.

On a serious not, maybe the 1/2 tank of fuel was reponsible for the lighter weight. Also, i think M/Ts tend to be a tad lighter than A/Ts.

Congratulations on a pleasing result though.
Umm, I was sensing a little sarcasm there. :lol:

Fuel will have a definate effect of weight depending on the level. A/T's are slightly heavier.

You can weigh your car at just about any weigh station as well. Some minor changes and you could see wieght in the 25XX's.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
MR2 phatness said:
So your Saturn weighed less than a Lotus Elise?
Damn, that would be true. Just looked at lotuscars.com(official lotus site), and a 2006 Lotus Elise Base model weighs 1984 lbs(don't know if that's with or w/o gas, though). Yeah, I agree with MR2 phatness; you're probably exagerrating just a tiny bit(happens to the best of us lol). Another little bit of info: gas tank capacity: only 10.5 gallons lol And I thought mine was small!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Fuel will have a definate effect of weight depending on the level
Actually if its true that we have a 14 gallon tank, fuel is only gona add 90 lbs difference between full and completely empty, but I suppose since I had about a half tank, 45 lb is a decent amount.

I weighed my car for a lab report for class. I calculated my coefficent of drag to be 0.2915, which is pretty close to the 0.31 as quoted by Toyota.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
jarhead_jr said:
So I just weighed my car using automotive tire scales. Its a 93 NA, T-top, Manual tranny, power locks windows and spoiler, and I had about half tank of gas and about 30 lbs of other junk in there (car seat covers, backpack, tire pump, etc) and it pulled in at 2730 lbs. I was a little suprised. I thought it would have been 2800lbs.

Is that with a driver?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts