MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked them in the mr2.com various articles page and found them to be the "INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL--OPEN OR SHORT IN INTAKE AIR TEMP. SIGNAL" and the "MANIFOLD AND/OR AIRFLOW METER SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT" respectively.

whats that mean? How do I go about fixing this, do I have to buy a new afm or is something just unplugged? where would I go about finding this "short" in the circuit? should I go buy a volt meter thing from pep boys now?

Sorry for the abundance of posts by me lately, I have been doing a serious amount of work on my car this past 2 weeks while on vacation from school. This board has been a priceless resource for me (although I could probably add up the labor costs toyota WOULD have charged me :smile: )

thanks

S

·
0 Posts
24 is stupid ignore it,. its just the air temp sensor no biggie,... 31,... is your MAP sensor good luck with that one.

S

·
0 Posts
im betting you would have to buy a new AFM, on the other hand im not sure because my car threw the same codes then it all the sudden quit,. the map sensor connector was a bit loose,. it still throws 24 but i could care less about that one.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i thought the air temp sensor was pretty important?

I have spent 40+ hours working on this car the past 2 weeks fixing anything and everything; The only sensors or plugs not hooked up are the cold start injector sensor (broke plug for it) and theres a plug next to the intake mani that is grey and just hanging down right next to the fuel rail/injectors

S

·
0 Posts
do you think the sand you got stuck in affected your car???? muhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha im joking. But ive always found the air intake temp sensor to be pointless. someone might argue me down on that,. but its still pointless.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha im never going to live that down

but the air intake temp sensor, doesnt that adjust the amount of fuel depending on the temp it sees at the intake????? So wouldnt it be pretty important?

S

·
0 Posts
^^ i actually thought about what i said a bit and your probally right but you have a t4, your gas mileage sucks anyways.

edit: about the MAP sensor, 3sgte's dont have a map sensor they have the AFM like you said before,. im saying this before some politically correct idiot comes in here and makes us look like idiots.

double edit: i just noticed this is my 777th post,. cool all 7's :angel:

S

·
0 Posts
disconnect your afm blow it out,. dont wash it with liquids,. see if that fixes the problem,. dont forget to take out the efi fuse for 15 seconds to clear your codes.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha ya from what I know the gen III's had map sensors though!

and I will clear my codes and see what happens.

The grey plug next to the intake mani on the passenger side, I cant remember if its the plug for the turbo pressure sensor that I disconnected to disable fuel cut....

anyhow, I will go try that.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Did you check the codes because you had a specific problem, or were getting a CEL? Or did you just decide to check out of curiosity?

The ECU stores every code it ever sees forever, unless the error memory is cleared.
Both the intake air temp sensor and the AFM share the same harness. If anyone ever turned the key on while the harness was unlugged, it would store those codes.

bill

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ahhhhhhhhhh ok. I started the car before I drove it down to florida from missouri with out the afm plugged in, causing the car to die right away. I plugged it back in and everything worked fine.

I checked them out of curiousity when I was checking the timing. right before I pulled the jump from the te1 to e1 pins I checked for no reason at all.

I will go out and reset it now and see what happens

1 - 11 of 11 Posts