MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the car to Mcgeorge's for my Check engine Lite. I'm kinda pissed because I called to check if there was a diagnostic fee and they said no over the phone. Drop the car off and they say 80 bucks. But I wont be charged if Toyota covers the problem under warranty. He also questioned If I even Have a Warranty. Why a car with 40000 miles has to give you grief?

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Ouch, that sux. But at 40,000 miles your Toyota warantee likely ran out about $10,000 miles ago. However, the check engine light could easily be an emissions problem, and Federal law stipulates much longer warantees for emissions related equipment, so you could be in luck.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the 7 year 75000 mile Toyota Warranty. The first guy said the emissions were covered for 80000 miles

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'll bet it's an o2 sensor.

All dealerships charge 1 hour for diagnosis; I told you to let me know, I could've done this for free.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got off only paying my 50 dollar deductible. They just swapped out the O2 sensor, although none of them look new. They said they didn't get the misfire on all 4 cylinder's reading Autozone's scanner came up with.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
it bothers me when people just replace stuff cuz "its probably bad". there is a very easy procedure for testing O2 sensors...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dijital357 said:
it bothers me when people just replace stuff cuz "its probably bad". there is a very easy procedure for testing O2 sensors...
If the Toyota tester says the O2 sensor is bad, it is. If you've never seen one of these things, they're amazing. From what we're told, they cost $5,000. :eek:

Toyota required us to have 2 of them before we could open the new shop.

I figured it was an O2 sensor. Lots of them start going around that mileage, mine made it to just under 50k.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts