MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just bought a 1985 1.6 5 speed mr2. sat for last 5 to 7 years being driven once or twice a year. i am third owner now. What mechanical things should i be looking for? it starts and runs well. what basic things shoujld i stat with to get rolling with getting it up to speed mechanically? thanks and i will have many questions in the future.

Jeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd look for oil leaks and rust first, and then go through the paperwork to understand what maintenance is on the horizon (Or already past due). Then tackle anything that the previous owner put off, like timing belts, oil changes, spark plugs if they're due, or just to have it done.

Also look for rubber parts that need replacing (hoses, boots, etc) from sitting so much, check for basic stuff like brakes and rotors, fluid levels. Tires are frequently ignored as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good tires. Something like the Falken Azenis 615 will fit stock wheels, are affordable, and an excellent match for the MR2.

Check and change fluids. Make sure the brakes are working right. Check for loose or worn ball joints and tie rods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You and me both!!! just bought my 85 and its been sitting for 9-10 years! I got an AMAZING deal on it. just make sure to check for rust, if you're willing to, check and/or take apart engine/suspension/brake components to make sure they look in decent shape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts