MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I <3 E85
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey..I just bought a Mk1 from the FS section (1986 N/A)..since I'm in FL and the car is in NH, my uncle checked out the car and made the transaction for me. I should be flying up in May to drive it back to FL..

Anyway, synchros are starting to go for second gear (possibly third -- not sure). My uncle offered to fix it with me while I'm up there..should we replace the entire transmission, or just fix what's broken/worn out? He has a lot of tools, but I'm not sure he has everything required to rebuild the tranny..

Also..while it's all apart, is it worth going to a lighter flywheel and aftermarket clutch? I have an ACT/Fidanza setup on my Corolla, and I'm very happy with it..I have yet to drive an MR2, though..so I don't know how good/bad the stock parts are.

I plan on turbocharging or supercharging it eventually...I have a lot of research to do before then, though. I'd like to keep daily-driver reliability, but it has to be significantly faster than my Corolla.. :p

There's 122k on the car..bearings and timing belt were replaced in the last 20k or so. Is there anything else we should do while we have it apart?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
You should just replace the whole trans with a decent used one.. you can pick them up pretty cheap.. $200 or less.. and welcome to the boards :)

Brando

·
I <3 E85
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome =)

Trannies..C50, C52..?

Any recommendations on clutches or flywheels, or retailers to purchase from? Should I just stick with OEM until I'm making a decent amount of power..?

Is the swap something we should be able to knock out in a weekend?

Also..how much money would/should it take to maintain autox-ability and run a mid-14 1/4? It already has struts/springs/antisway bars and good wheels/tires (Rota Slipstreams/Dunlop FM901s).

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Try to get a C52.. either will work w/o problems, but the C52 has slightly better internals, and you could get a C56 off a later silvertop, which has better internals than both (I believe better synchros) but then you have to mod it to make the shifter shaft on the correct side (not hard to do.. I'm sure someone will post a link)

It would be easy to do this in a weekend.. I recommend dropping the engine and trans as an assembly out the bottom, its the easiest way.. and instead of un-hooking all the sensors, its MUCH easier to just unplug the ECU and pull the harness through the firewall and set it on top the engine.. I've got it down to around 3-hours from pulling the car into the garage to having the engine on the floor using just a floor jack, set of ramps, and set of jack stands.. and various blocks of wood..

Brando

·
I <3 E85
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, thanks..I'll look for a C52.

I'm looking at everything needed to supercharge this engine for 400 bucks (600 for JDM) -- should I jump on it?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
87+ cars have the C52 unless the PO swapped it out for something else

B

·
0 Posts
please let me know how i can do an 88 n/a to a s/c for 400.00
motor, tranny, axles, and ecu and harness.......

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
really hard to do for 400...Im doing a jdm SC and its 980. I know someone who has a rebuilt US 4agze but it doesnt have the supercharger or intercooler for 600

B

·
0 Posts
yeah, thats around what im getting, i was just curious about what cadetlee stated.
theres a place out here and they are "quoting me " at 500.00 for motor, tranny, intercooler, and supercharger + axles and ecu ( but ecu and axles prove tuff to get ahold of )

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
not yet, I have done alot of research on it though. I have an 88 so for me it is alot easier to install the gze in since the 88's had a sc model. From what I have heard if I have all the wiring I should be able to plug it into the kick panels...may need some wiring work to get it all to work though. also I will probably have to switch tranny's since I dont have the axles for the engine :( overall I think it would be worth it to get the HP

B

·
0 Posts
you and i are on the same page, I started with an 87 n/a now i have an 88 t-top n/a
that i am doing the swap on, still looking for the best deal, and learning about the swap ie..mounts, wiring etc.....
I can get you the parts needed,.....i think you can email me if you would like
[email protected]
my name is Bill, i would be willing to check around up here for you.
also, i am going to be parting out the 87, if i cant finish it soon, so let me know if you need any parts

·
I <3 E85
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
billsmk1 said:
yeah, thats around what im getting, i was just curious about what cadetlee stated.
theres a place out here and they are "quoting me " at 500.00 for motor, tranny, intercooler, and supercharger + axles and ecu ( but ecu and axles prove tuff to get ahold of )
That was just the supercharger for the 4AGE..not the motor/etc -- he said he has everything needed to supercharge the n/a motor.

I'm not sure what they (superchargers) go for, though...so I don't know if it's a good deal or not. Would I be breaking axles and transmissions?

I'll look for a C52 trans..for the supercharger, I was quoted $400 for USDM, $600 for JDM..:

- S/C Compressor
- S/C intake Manifold/throttle body
- S/C injectors
- S/C brackets
- Alternator
- Intercooler
- all the tensioners and pulleys

Any tips or suggestions? Should I jump on it..should I wait..?

B

·
0 Posts
The transmission is the reason i bought my 88, i hoped and prayed that it was only the clutch in my 87 but it ended up being the tranny.
i looked and shopped and even thought about rebuilding it, but its all so costly!
so I just bought a whole new car, put a new clutch in it and i spent 3 days 600 miles and 475.00 for a 1988 t-top dark gray N/A. well worth it...
so that leads me to my point,the 88 because of its t-tops is getting a transplant...the s/c conversion. from what i have read and heard, you WANT to use S/C axles, tranny i assume is optional???? but im also guessing they're ( S/C trannys for a reason )????
i am TRYING to be very patient about locating the right peices, as I only want to do this once!!!! changing the clutch alone was pain, plus the less time i spend under my car the longer my wife isnt going on.. and on and on .....etc.... about " you love your car more than>......." :) so just a friendly suggestion try to be patient unless you dont mind a pointless tear down.....

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
CadetLee said:
That was just the supercharger for the 4AGE..not the motor/etc -- he said he has everything needed to supercharge the n/a motor.

I'm not sure what they (superchargers) go for, though...so I don't know if it's a good deal or not. Would I be breaking axles and transmissions?

I'll look for a C52 trans..for the supercharger, I was quoted $400 for USDM, $600 for JDM..:

- S/C Compressor
- S/C intake Manifold/throttle body
- S/C injectors
- S/C brackets
- Alternator
- Intercooler
- all the tensioners and pulleys

Any tips or suggestions? Should I jump on it..should I wait..?
I would at least want the gze block....has better internals built for the boost that and the ecu would be needed along with the wiring harness for a gze.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
ya, right now i have 3 mr2's...85, 86 and my 88. got the 86 for 100 :D and the 88 for 550 :D :D my 88 is blue with t-tops with a engine that needs a timing belt installed to fix it. plan on using the c52 tranny out of it if I cant get ahold of the axles for a decent price...the axles are more sturdyer for the super charged engine so you dont tear the tranny up running the engine hard...and I would like it for future turbo applications.

·
I <3 E85
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man..you make me think I overpaid for mine. :p

I paid $1k, but it has a bit of work done to it..and $800+ in wheels/tires already.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts