MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Oh wow, no kidding. I can't find anything for that trans. I wonder, has anyone ever checked to see if the turbo and non-turbo gears are interchangeable? A quick search shows a lot of back and forth about the two transmissions. I do wonder if the turbo gears would fit on the non-turbo input & counter shaft, so then you could swap the gears out with some that has parts available for it. It would make 3rd gear longer I believe, but you would have the car back?
I wonder what the cost would be to swap a turbo transmission in. I think you could do that, possibly change the clutch with it, I've read the splines are different between the two transmissions.

I think if you posted in here, you'd have better luck getting someone to respond that is more knowledgeable on the topic
General MR2 Discussion

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for your advice and taking the time to respond. That is a creative idea and one that we asked our mechanic and toyota dealer a couple weeks ago. They advised that the parts are different unfortunately. However, I will ask about your other idea of possibly just switching out the transmissions only...we'd just have to make sure everything aligns. I will post this under the other thread you mentioned above. Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
They may have told you the parts are different because they have different ratios. If the gear itself fits on the counter shaft, and input shaft, it would work, but it would just change the gear ratio for that gear. If it would work of course

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Intake manifold got some love yesterday. I couldn't get it any cleaner with what I have so the gf picked out this color. I really like it, I think against the billet stuff it looks good.
Gas Rectangle Fashion accessory Metal Auto part

studio couch Gas Flooring Metal Auto part

Then got a few small things. Eliminating the stock map sensor, and a throttlebody adapter so I can run a OE throttlebody
Wood Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Gas

Plant Tool Saw Gas Wood

Wood Bicycle part Gas Personal protective equipment Auto part

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Finally got around to cleaning, scuffing, painting the engine compartment. Found the Super White 043 in Duplicolor or what ever it is. I didn't need anything car show worthy, but I wanted it to have a refresher..

White Blue Hood Motor vehicle Trunk

Hood Azure Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Azure Automotive exterior Hood Composite material Gas

I think the next thing on the list is going to be new bushings for the suspension. That way I can spray the subframe and while it dries, change the bushings out and put the engine in the car

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
So while waiting for a few minor suspension things, I decided to get the engine a little more complete.
I got a Toyonda log turbo manifold to keep things tight and I like the turbo placement.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

I also always wanted to do hardlines for boost lines so giving it a shot now

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exhaust Hood

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Plumbing valve Balloon Valve

Bicycle part Electric blue Tool Composite material Wire

Electrical wiring Audio equipment Bicycle handlebar Gadget Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Tread Automotive wheel system

I'm still waiting for my Mac boost solenoid, so I'll have to wait, but I want to mount it on the side a little lower than where the line ends

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
Well, time to get the transmission attached and drop the ol girl in the car. Got a Competition Stg 4 clutch for now. I think it'll eventually need a twin disc, but this should do for now.

Book Publication Box Audio equipment Gadget

Silver Tableware Dishware Font Table

Gas Composite material Cylinder Plumbing Pipe

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
Some minor suspension pieces came in so I made a tiny amount of progress.

Painted the subframe, got a rigid collar kit (so the subframe doesn't shift around over time) and prothane bushings for the car.

Going to try and make time this weekend to install everything back into the car. Then I can try to figure out intercooler placement and how I want to route charge piping/exhaust

Bicycle part Tool Composite material Metal Font

Product Font Material property Office supplies Tool

Wood Grey Rectangle Gas Tints and shades

Wood Rolling Gas Composite material Auto part

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Subframe installed with the collar kit. Last engine mount installed as well. Goal tonight will be to finish the fuel lines, now that I know where everything will need to be ran.

Tool Bumper Automotive exterior Composite material Wood

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Engineering Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Gosh that's a gorgeous bay

Man, thing about Hondas, for whatever reason, they can be made SO tidy. And much easier than many other models I've seen. I know there'll be lots more to come - hoses and wiring, but it's just so OPEN in there right now

·
Registered
349 Posts
So while waiting for a few minor suspension things, I decided to get the engine a little more complete.
I got a Toyonda log turbo manifold to keep things tight and I like the turbo placement.

I also always wanted to do hardlines for boost lines so giving it a shot now

I'm still waiting for my Mac boost solenoid, so I'll have to wait, but I want to mount it on the side a little lower than where the line ends
Man those hardlines are clean. Can't wait to see it all done up

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Gosh that's a gorgeous bay

Man, thing about Hondas, for whatever reason, they can be made SO tidy. And much easier than many other models I've seen. I know there'll be lots more to come - hoses and wiring, but it's just so OPEN in there right now
Dude, thank you thank you. Yeah I agree, they sell a bunch of snazzy little things to clean it up a tad too. Yeah, I think I'm going to try and run the engine harness under the intake and enter the car above the gas tank. Like where the battery cable comes from.
Man those hardlines are clean. Can't wait to see it all done up
Thank you, I want to redo the oil feed on the turbo already though.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Question that you may or may not have an answer for - what's the k series engine, with a turbo setup, weigh?
It looks like it's much smaller, physically, than the 3S engine, and its much newer so probably lighter, I was just curious

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
The k series is 405lbs - 420lbs (with trans) from what I've read.
I'm not sure but if this is with or without trans, but I found two different numbers for the 3S.
143kg (315lbs) and also 375lbs. I didn't even think about whether or not I was gaining weight or losing it. I really do want to lose more weight on this thing

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
My Mako Motorsports cluster mount/beasel came in. I definitely think this is a solid unit. It feels nice and sturdy. The FT450 and Nano fit perfect, but I still need to order a fuel gauge and blinkers.
I started laying out the harness to get an idea how I'll be routing it. Adding a new fuse box in the back cubby. This will replace the main relay, fuel pump, injectors, coilpacks, A2W pump, ect.
Bumper Auto part Fashion accessory Font Gadget

Grey Auto part Tool Carmine Electric blue

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Audio equipment

Automotive lighting Hood Leg Automotive design Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Got some better measurements for the wiring. I'll be replacing the OE fuse box with this smaller one. Got started on some organization to get ahead of it some.
Telephony Gadget Communication Device Input device Peripheral

Food Kitchen appliance Tableware Gas Cuisine

Also a few old bolts were bothering me and stuck out like a sore thumb. At first I was going to leave them, because I plan on getting a scatter shield for safety, but these were cheap so eeh

Gesture Medical Auto part Personal protective equipment Bone

Textile Bag Auto part Hood Denim

Motor vehicle Automotive design Grey Gas Automotive exterior

Font Plastic Gas Auto part Road surface

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 · (Edited)
Tonight I dropped a little bit of weight by removing the windshield wiper, motor, reservoir (which had some fluid in it). Everything ended up being 17lbs total. I definitely have to give it a good scrub before it goes back together.

Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Hand Shoe Arm Leg Automotive tire

Automotive tire Grey Asphalt Automotive exterior Material property

Knee Comfort Grey Thigh Elbow

Also car is finally good to go to fab. I'm thinking something like this. I have the water/ice tank stacked on top of the intercooler to save some trunk space

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car Automotive exterior

81 - 100 of 110 Posts