MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Oh wow, no kidding. I can't find anything for that trans. I wonder, has anyone ever checked to see if the turbo and non-turbo gears are interchangeable? A quick search shows a lot of back and forth about the two transmissions. I do wonder if the turbo gears would fit on the non-turbo input & counter shaft, so then you could swap the gears out with some that has parts available for it. It would make 3rd gear longer I believe, but you would have the car back?
I wonder what the cost would be to swap a turbo transmission in. I think you could do that, possibly change the clutch with it, I've read the splines are different between the two transmissions.

I think if you posted in here, you'd have better luck getting someone to respond that is more knowledgeable on the topic
General MR2 Discussion

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for your advice and taking the time to respond. That is a creative idea and one that we asked our mechanic and toyota dealer a couple weeks ago. They advised that the parts are different unfortunately. However, I will ask about your other idea of possibly just switching out the transmissions only...we'd just have to make sure everything aligns. I will post this under the other thread you mentioned above. Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
They may have told you the parts are different because they have different ratios. If the gear itself fits on the counter shaft, and input shaft, it would work, but it would just change the gear ratio for that gear. If it would work of course

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Intake manifold got some love yesterday. I couldn't get it any cleaner with what I have so the gf picked out this color. I really like it, I think against the billet stuff it looks good.
Gas Rectangle Fashion accessory Metal Auto part

studio couch Gas Flooring Metal Auto part

Then got a few small things. Eliminating the stock map sensor, and a throttlebody adapter so I can run a OE throttlebody
Wood Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Gas

Plant Tool Saw Gas Wood

Wood Bicycle part Gas Personal protective equipment Auto part

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Finally got around to cleaning, scuffing, painting the engine compartment. Found the Super White 043 in Duplicolor or what ever it is. I didn't need anything car show worthy, but I wanted it to have a refresher..

White Blue Hood Motor vehicle Trunk

Hood Azure Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Azure Automotive exterior Hood Composite material Gas

I think the next thing on the list is going to be new bushings for the suspension. That way I can spray the subframe and while it dries, change the bushings out and put the engine in the car

81 - 86 of 86 Posts