MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Yeah, had to focus on the other car. Now I'm hoping I can start putting more time in on this thing

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
The Toyonda engine mounts came in for the K series. While I was at it I got the clutch line as well. I think I'll end up adding a slipper valve for the clutch anywho, to make launching a little softer on the drive train.
I went with the Hybrid-Racing shifter cable bracket too

Engine stuff started coming in as well. Got some ARP headstuds and a billet lower chain guide that helps the chain stay on the sprocket if I ever remove the cams. Hopefully head gasket and valve springs come in soon so I can tear into the engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Alright, finally received the rest of my head stuff. Hoping I can get on this stuff this week. Once the longblock is in one piece, I can get the transmission torn apart. It currently has a 4.7 final drive and I think I'm going to lengthen the gears out some by switching that to either a 4.3 or 4.1 final drive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Okay, so I was able to get a little bit of work done this past weekend. I pulled the head off and started checking clearances on block and head surfaces to make sure everything was within spec. Then I started to rebuild the head to get it ready for some boost. Just changing out the valve springs/retainers for dual 92lbs springs from SuperTech.

Luckily it seems this engine was pretty well taken care of. To seal it up I picked up a Cometic gasket and the ARP head studs I posted a while back. I plan on cleaning everything up a lot more before I go to do that. Also found an ECU that has a “piggy back” kind of system installed for tuning wise. It was a DEAL, so I actually still might try to sell this and pick up a FT450 or 550. If the ECU doesn’t sell, it has enough options to make me happy.

Other than that, just picked up some small billet stuff to make the engine install easier on myself. Just some water housings and adjustable inlet/outlets that will allow me to point them in the direction I need them to be in to work for the MR2 chassis.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I actually just posted this one up for sale. My brother has one in his 91 MR2 and I love it. I can send you videos of his in action if you want

·
Registered
15 Posts
I actually just posted this one up for sale. My brother has one in his 91 MR2 and I love it. I can send you videos of his in action if you want
That would be great! I am a ways off from making this upgrade though. Is it pretty plug and play if I am running an FMM/Sienna ecu?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
It's plug and play on most ECU's, but I installed one on a Honda before and I had to connect/solder 2 wires into the ECU. I'll call Powertuned and see what they say about that ECU. That's the OE Toyota one correct?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's plug and play on most ECU's, but I installed one on a Honda before and I had to connect/solder 2 wires into the ECU. I'll call Powertuned and see what they say about that ECU. That's the OE Toyota one correct?
Yes, I believe it’s from a 2012 Sienna.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Well, got the cylinder head finished up and buttoned back onto the bottom end. Glad I double checked for leaks, I had an exhaust valve that had the tiniest bend to it, so I got that replaced.

Here's the other coolant housing I got to help point the heater hose in the correct direction

Next move is to run through the transmission and replace anything that's worn. I may upgrade some small stuff just to have more of a crisp feel to it as well. I know for sure I want swap the final drive out to stretch the gears out some more. Planning to have 4th rap out as close to 130mph as possible on a 26" tire.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
Slowly making some consistent progress on this again. Cams, rockers all buttoned up. Valve lash done, and installed the upper coolant housing with filler neck.

Got this neat little guide which allows me to be able to pull the head or swap cams without having to remove the timing cover (since the chain cannot fall anymore). Basically how it should have came from the factory in my opinion. Got it incase I want to swap cams out later if I can't hit my goal on the stock profile.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I'm honestly never looked into it. I feel like it should though. I don't see why it wouldn't, so hopefully.
I actually ordered this from KL Imports to be able to connect the OE MR2 lines to an RSX AC Compressor

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
So quick update. I sold the Hondata and ended up getting a FuelTech ft450 ecu. Also why i posted the PowerTune dash for sale.
I'll be making my own harness for this so also started ordering terminals and clips that match some of the K20's sensors. For the others I will be swapping them out with Fueltech or GM sensors. Pretty excited to start reading through all this.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
Received a bunch of things this week. I'm hoping this may motivate me more.

Got the transmission torn apart, everything looks great, just ordered some new seals, bearings, synchros, synchro-springs, and detent springs to give it a refresher. Also found a local would was willing to trade final drives with me (counter shaft & ring gear). He had a 4.3 and wanted a 4.7 so, donezo.. 79 teeth on the ring gear, 18 teeth on the counter = 4.38 final drive. Just what I was looking for

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm new to the forum so I hope I am posting this correctly. I have a 1991 Toyota MR2 nonturbo 5fse 2.2L that has been in the shop for months because the mechanic cannot find 3rd and 5th gear synchros. I've looked online and ebay, and have contacted several Toyota dealerships searching for this part but I cannot find it anywhere. Apparently the 3rd and 5th gear synchros are the same part number. The part number I am looking for is 33368-17020 and I need to buy 2 of them. I would be very grateful if anybody could point me in the right direction - I've been trying to get this car on the road since November and already have the engine done. Thank you very much for any guidance. I'm not sure how to get notifications if someone answers this post but I will continue to check back. My email is [email protected] if that is easier. BTW, great job on the rebuild! I hope it turns out awesome.
-Alex

61 - 80 of 86 Posts