MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Gasoila is good stuff too, but jeez its messy

+1 to NPT needing sealant. Only fittings that we would commonly encounter that dont need sealant are 37° flares (AN), double flares on brakes and rare occasions for 45° flares (not commonly compatible with 37° unless manufactured with both angles on the fittings)

·
Administrator
91t gen5
7,223 Posts
NPT threads absolutely need a sealant to seal. All of them. Otherwise there's a leak path the whole way around the threads. This is how ALL tapered threads seal in the world. (BSPT, NPT etc.)

I use Loctite PTFE sealant in a stick and it always seals up. Give it at least a few hours to cure though. Amazon.com: Loctite 37615 Thread Sealant : Automotive
Gasoila is good stuff too, but jeez its messy

+1 to NPT needing sealant. Only fittings that we would commonly encounter that dont need sealant are 37° flares (AN), double flares on brakes and rare occasions for 45° flares (not commonly compatible with 37° unless manufactured with both angles on the fittings)
I don't want to come off as someone who wants to argue but read the wiki on NPT.

From the wiki: "The taper on NPT threads allows them to form a seal when torqued as the flanks of the threads compress against each other, as opposed to parallel/straight thread fittings or compression fittings in which the threads merely hold the pieces together and do not provide the seal."

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's ok, there is no argument!

There is "what you read" and "what you do"

Just check all the NPT connections in your house, especially in your gas service. You will find dope. You will also never find a union pipe or steam fitter who doesn't dope NPT threads

If you have had luck not doping or sealing NPT, then it's just luck. That is not standard practice by any measure. The dope also acts like anti-seize as you tighten, significantly reducing your chances of galling. Gall it hard enough and it'll seal anyway tho 😂

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I don't want to come off as someone who wants to argue but read the wiki on NPT.

From the wiki: "The taper on NPT threads allows them to form a seal when torqued as the flanks of the threads compress against each other, as opposed to parallel/straight thread fittings or compression fittings in which the threads merely hold the pieces together and do not provide the seal."

The thread is the seal, but you still have to use a sealant like PTFE paste or tape to fill tiny gaps.

A parallel thread has ZERO sealing on the threads, even if you use a sealant. That is the difference, so you are grossly misinterpreting the wiki article.

Says it right there, they need a sealant. 100% mandatory, not optional. If you had a leaky NPT fitting without sealant, well, you were using them wrong.

(high pressure fluid connections are my day job, 100% sure on this)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
NPT threads absolutely need a sealant to seal. All of them. Otherwise there's a leak path the whole way around the threads. This is how ALL tapered threads seal in the world. (BSPT, NPT etc.)

I use Loctite PTFE sealant in a stick and it always seals up. Give it at least a few hours to cure though. Amazon.com: Loctite 37615 Thread Sealant : Automotive
I'm definitely adding this to the tool box! Thank you sir

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
So, I was able to get the 5S-Fe out and do a little more clean up in the engine compartment. I think I'm going to go ahead and hide the rear end wire harness. Next on the list is drop the stock tank so I can swap out fuel pump and fuel lines.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design Engineering

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
3,667 Posts
I think you're talking about this build:
Hood Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

He gives us almost daily updates on the Frankenstein Motorworks Discord,it's a stock motor with one of my tuned 300whp ecus but he's going into so much little details to make everything just perfect that it's been fun to watch.

It sounds like you're still somewhat on the fence about which motor to use, I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the 2GR or 2AR swap. Both would require a turbo to get to your horsepower goal. You would be approaching the max recommended limit on stock internals for the 2AR and still quite far from the 2GR's max recommended limit on stock internals but the parts you need for either are available if you wanted to push the boost further.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota MR2
98 Posts
I think you're talking about this build:
View attachment 79957

He gives us almost daily updates on the Frankenstein Motorworks Discord,it's a stock motor with one of my tuned 300whp ecus but he's going into so much little details to make everything just perfect that it's been fun to watch.

It sounds like you're still somewhat on the fence about which motor to use, I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the 2GR or 2AR swap. Both would require a turbo to get to your horsepower goal. You would be approaching the max recommended limit on stock internals for the 2AR and still quite far from the 2GR's max recommended limit on stock internals but the parts you need for either are available if you wanted to push the boost further.
Hey that's me ! If you have any questions about any process that i've done on the car feel free and shoot them over. I'll do my best to asnwer them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Omg yeah that thing is amazing! I don't know if I could maintain something like that, personally.
Yes, thank you guys. Boosted2 got me into the discord 🙌

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Well, started on the fuel tank. Got a Walbro 450 in tank pump, new fittings and lines. Modified the stock tophat for the new 8an PTFE lines. I'm planning on running a flex fuel setup.
Tank looked soooo yummy
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

Electrical wiring Composite material Cable Gas Wood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Gas Road surface Font Automotive wheel system

Fluid Material property Cable Auto part Water bottle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Bicycle part Tool Bumper Gas Nickel

Automotive tire Crankset Azure Motor vehicle Bicycle part

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Rim Motor vehicle
Hand Bicycle handlebar Fluid Bicycle part Finger

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Quick little update, I finally got some progress done on this. Tank is back in, fuel filter is mounted.
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

I finally pulled the trigger on an engine swap. It was crazy cheap and couldn't pass it up. Needless to say, I went a little order happy so I can move this thing along
Medical equipment Gas Office equipment Wood Machine

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Full K20z3 with the LSD trans. Paid $1,000 for the engine/trans. I think just to be safe I'll change the valve springs, Trans., oil pump, head gasket, most likely add some ARPs while I'm there

·
Registered
Gen 5 CT15,Wiseco pistons, AEM Meth Injec, Blitz Nur 3” Exhaust, GSC Cams, HKS Gears, BC coilovers,
23 Posts
ATS has a 450hp recipe E85 kit. Not cheap tho. Think it’s like 16k. I poured thousands in my build and just now at a little over 300…:( but very streetable and fun. Good luck with build!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
ATS has a 450hp recipe E85 kit. Not cheap tho. Think it’s like 16k. I poured thousands in my build and just now at a little over 300…:( but very streetable and fun. Good luck with build!
I'll look it up, that is steepfor me though. Idk if this K series will be permanent, but it should be able to hit my goals for pretty cheap

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Got a hybrid/hux shifter and some Amazon special cables. I wanted the billet K-Tuned style one, but they were 1 to 2 months out.
My girlfriend found this old shift knob she wants to put on and see how it feels. We got a hybrid racing shift knob as well for when she wants to "bang gears" though

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Bumper

Vehicle Window Motor vehicle Car Seat belt

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Steering wheel

Car Vehicle Window Car seat cover Plant

41 - 60 of 86 Posts