MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I picked this car up from a local junk yard here in AZ. As I'm cleaning it, I'm noticing this car is much cleaner than I had originally thought. I figured I'd start a build thread to help me with motivation, questions and just overall learning more from this community.
Plans: Making an overall fun car, that can still be a comfortable daily.. Looking to make around 450-500whp with some weight loss, but still maintain A/C, Heat, comfort. Mainly because this will be driven by my girlfriend quite a bit.
Car Sky Tire Vehicle Wheel

Car wasn't in the worse shape at all when I picked it up. Especially, after a quick wash. I'm in the process of disassembling it now to clean everything and remove everything I don't plan on using.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Oh sorry fellas, I should have mentioned, I'll be swapping this and adding a turbo, a2w, a butt load of fuel, e85, and possibly stand alone.

Arizona junk yards are much different than NC, it appears. I'd love to find somehting like that in the junkyard

Best of luck
400+ wont be easy, or cheap. Especially since youre starting with an NA.
But looking forward to this.

IF I can make a suggestion. Drop those placeholders, just post. When you open a thread it goes to the newest post, which would mean many would/will never see those pics and updates.
Oh believe me, this was definitely a one off. A friend knows the owner of the junk yard and he called me asking if I needed any parts for my brother's MR2 and when he sent photos I told him not to touch it haha. I really feel like I got lucky on this one

And yeah definitely, thanks for the heads up. Sorry about that, I haven't been on the forums in quite some time. Is there a way to remove them?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fact you say "possibly a standalone" tells me you don't know how to build a 400+whp vehicle. Good luck though and good find!
Yeah, I was debating on getting Fueltech because you can get ft450 with a harness and wideband for $1200-1300. It's super convenient to tune on since it has VE model and the I/O are super nice to have for control and monitoring.
As others have said... If you want a really fun car daily driveable MR2 that even your GF can drive, then do a 2GR swap instead of trying to build up some rusty old 3SGTE. It'll be done a lot sooner and will cost less in the long run.

Did you also power-wash the engine bay? That looks remarkably clean for a car that would up in the junkyard.
Oh you know I did haha. I failed to get a before photo, but it had some awesome rat turds all over :oops:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh I see. Yeah I don't think the stock ECU would be necessary anymore. The accessories shouldn't run off the stock ECU, except maybe A/C (which fueltech or haltech can control)? I need to deep dive into some diagrams before I make my final decision for sure.
I have to dive into how the steering adjustment works more though. I believe it may have its own controller and reads the speed

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Made some progress on the interior today. While the carpets were out, the gf wanted to do a deep scrub and washed them. She ended up touching them up with some fabric die because they had some faded spot.
Tire Photograph White Hood Automotive tire

Sleeve Grey Bag Pattern Luggage and bags

Decided to start my minor weight savings by pulling up some of the sound deadening. Dropped a total of a whopping 16lbs.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Car

Carpet dry and back in the car. I definitely need to order a new steering wheel, this one is crusty and falling apart.

Motor vehicle Hood Window Automotive design Vehicle door

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also got some of these, I'm going to see if I can make them work for the lid. If they work I'll share for those who want something a little more cost effective.
Tire Hand Wheel Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you sir!!

So it's not quite the weekend yet, so no progress. I did happen to find a pair of seats I've been wanting for quite some time now at a local junkyard. They just need some cleaning.

Comfort Chair Flooring Office chair Gas

I had an FRS back when the first came out before there was much aftermarket support for them. One thing my gf and I could always agree on where the seats.. Mmmm one of my favs

DK Auto brackets are on the way as well 🤙🏽

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DK Auto Import Brackets came in and made this install so easy. Just a quick swap of the seat belt buckles and they bolted right in. I really like the fitment
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Land vehicle

Car Vehicle Seat belt Motor vehicle Automotive design

Font Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Auto part

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
A couple of things came in yesterday. Flex Fuel sensor, fuel pressure sensor, coolant temp sensor, ID injectors

Font Plastic Electric blue Auto part Transparency

Gadget Material property Electric blue Font Packaging and labeling

Rectangle Gas Bottle Bottle cap Bumper

I had purchased this for a different build, but I decided to use it in the MR2.
PowerTuned Digital Dash with GPS. This thing has some pretty cool options and you can completely customize it how you want. Also has Data logging, GPS Integration, drag timers, go pro integration, adjustable shift lights
Gas Technology Electronic device Rectangle Font

Shipping box Automotive design Packing materials Material property Rectangle

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yeah, I wanted to run this cluster cause I didn't want to have 3-4 gauges. And the transponder for the tracks sold me on it. I've been watching videos of guys customizing these things and it's pretty cool all the different things you can do

I really like that idea, that'll look super clean too. I really wanted to keep the stock seats but they were ROUGH.

Oh I get that. If it ain't broken, right?
The 90° bulk fittings? AC PERFORMANCE Blue Aluminum 90 Degree -8 AN Male Flare Union Bulkhead Fuel Fitting with AN8 Bulkhead Nut https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SVXYGP...t_i_9B24EY368KQ7NE61ES6N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Dash is interesting, how large is that display?
Cost of unit?
7" display. I bought this one back on black friday for $400 or so. I think when you add the GPS, it normally comes out to $550 or something + shipping. If I end up getting Fueltech, I'll be most likely selling this one. As of right now though I want to use it on the MR2
Watch out with those threads on the Chinese pressure sensors. I used one temporarily to measure fuel pressure and couldn't get it to seal without a sealant. I also found out that the sealant wasn't ethanol safe because it dissolved over night and then started to leak again. NPT doesn't need a sealant to seal so by mine leaking after sitting overnight tells me the threads weren't cut right.
Yeah, I went through that on a few of them. Found a distributor with these ones and so far, I've been pretty lucky with them. I'm running 4 of these on my racecar and so far so good 🤞

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Decided to wrap up the cluster today. Wanted to try something a little bit different. I ended up using the OE Fuel gauge and new af blinkers. Everything else can be read through the digital cluster (RPM, MPH, lambda, coolant temp, oil temp, IATs, I want to add a temp sensor to the A2W system so I can monitor that as well. Maybe will let me know the impact on the IAT).
Hopefully pulling the engine out this week to get a deeep scrub in. Then pull fuel tank and redo pump and lines

White Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting
Cable Audio equipment Wire Electronic device Gadget
Input device Gadget Output device Audio equipment Gas

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Sleeve Wood Waist Comfort Musical instrument

Automotive tire Speedometer Tachometer Motor vehicle Trip computer

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Grey

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Most likely will be FuelTech or Haltech. The plug and play connector is just the canbus plug that the ECU has. When I bought mine, I just got the wires they provide. Depending what ECU I get, I'll order that plug.

1 - 17 of 65 Posts