MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and was surprised to not find much info on this.

I sent my valve cover to JetHot to have it coated with their sterling coating. I just got a call back from them telling me that the media they use to clean the cover will not completely be cleaned out of the cover since it has a baffle. Also, they were concerned about the heat to do the coating process and it melting the aluminum cover.

I told them not to worry about getting the cover up to 600oF (I think it will stand up to it). But the idea they can't get all of the media out concerns me. Has anyone else gone through this? Should I really be concerned? They want me to sign a waiver in case they ruin the part.

Thanks for any feedback!

Steve

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
i put my valve cover in the oven at 450 degrees and it had no problem. I was also thinking of getting my new valve cover coated. Should stop some of the heat getting to my st205 intercooler.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know if there's a silver powder-coating that looks similar to Jet-Hot's sterling (kind of like chrome, but not as shiny). I am trying to match the pipe that goes from the turbo to the intercooler. I bought it from someone that had it jet-hot coated in sterling.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Go with powder coating. The valve cover stays cool enough. There are powder coat colors that look like "chrome".

Regarding the baffle... If this is a 3SGTE valve cover, yes, there is one on the underside of the valve cover. However, it is removable. Just remove the small hex screws (I forget the size, but they're fairly small). You can then pry the baffle off (it's just stuck down with an old gasket). There are three baffles you need to remove this way, one large one and two smaller ones. Clean all the remaining gasket material from the baffles and the valve cover and you're ready to go.

When you reinstall the baffle just add a bead of black RTV where the gasket used to be. I'm really surprised that the guys at Jet-Hot weren't able to figure this out!

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
meisner said:
Do you know if there's a silver powder-coating that looks similar to Jet-Hot's sterling (kind of like chrome, but not as shiny). I am trying to match the pipe that goes from the turbo to the intercooler. I bought it from someone that had it jet-hot coated in sterling.
yeah polish it! LOL

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Polsihing and chroming require continued upkeep .... powder coating you can wipe with a damp cloth ;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys, I am heeding your warnings/opinions and told them to not coat the valve cover. I also sent them the little tube from the i/c to the throttle body. $22.50 to coat that. That's about how much it cost from Toyota! But I figured they have it now, so I might as well. It won't rust that way.

When I get the valve cover back, I will have it powder coated instead. I like low-maintenance!!

Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts