MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=158562&highlight=rust

Same boat buddy, it's just that mine is sinking faster and I don't have any patches. Yeah, the reason I say you're going to win is cause you has disposable income to fix the problem with. All I have is the ability to cry about it, and the salt from the tears doesn't help! Just let me know what you find and how much it ran you. Then move out on your own and tell me you can still afford it. :D

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I got rust too on both doors, lower edges are pretty bad, i think im just gonna get new doors instead of fixing it. Then i got a bunch or little rust dots all over my hood/fenders and front part of the roof. The car is gonna be painted by the end of summer so those will get fixed then.

Greg.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
You guys are starting to sound like us poor mk1 owners. Once the rust starts, it's really hard to stop, especially when it starts on the inside like that. It's amazing what you uncover and disturb when digging to find where the rust ends.

I fought rust on my '87 NA for years. I lost.

My other MR2s are not driven from late October through April or May. They will not see salt. Problem reduced to negligible.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gocasen said:
That hole was just fixed on my car. If you pay me or drive up here i will cut it out weld in metal and fix it and repaint it. I = ownage on rust. I found some ______ rust on my doors now i can't fix that as easly as rockers. I think i am going to buy new doors.
You seem fairly confident. I'll see if I can post some pictures and bring you down a peg... It's my daily so I can't avoid salt in central Illinois. :(

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
I did get a quote, $900 for both sides, including brand new rockers all the work and paint and the rust proofer for 2 sides in Peoria at a very good shop, cant think of the name off hand..

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I am tellin ya. All you gotta do is sufficently CUT out the rust. that area is extremely easy to cut cause the back side backs up in the wheel well. I just sliced it put some metal in bondo'ed both sides. Made it smoothed and curved on the outside and repainted.

On the inside i filled with globs of bondo. Then using a undercoat type paint i uber rubberized it. If i notice more rust and i have more money i will more than likely buy new rockers. But by the looks of things i will be rebuying door shells brand new just so i don't have to deal with the rust that started there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts