MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my gen 4 to my garage, started tearing it apart to fit the 5sfe bracketry onto the new motor. After a couple minutes looking around the engine I noticed there were a couple exhaust manifold nuts and bolts not there. So I take the exhaust manifold off to see why, got it off and found this..... it looks like someone air hammered the **** out of the head also could be due to torching and the aluminum melting. My main concern is if they used an air hammer is cracking throughout the head, no. 2 concern is not having a exhaust manifold that seals properly to the head. So what could I possibly due to solve this problem??? Any ideas or solutions are greatly appreciated. Bought the engine from jdm engine expo in queens village NY

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
That looks like a bit more than a stud snapping though... I mean there are clear marks like someone was banging on it. I have no idea why someone would do that for either removing or repairing so I'm a bit confused. If the stud was simply snapped, sure no biggie, but wtf even happened there.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Maybe the stud snapped and they tried to wrench it out or something, then gave up and just sent it.

Drill and tap the hole with a helicoil, pretty easy repair since you can be a little off and still pick up fresh material with the larger helicoil tap.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I’d be worried a bit about what looks like mushrooming around that hole. Is it even flush with the rest of the block?

·
Registered
792 Posts
You'll want to bring this to a machine shop to repair that. The same exact same thing happened to me years ago, had to get it welded, drilled, and tapped.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’d be worried a bit about what looks like mushrooming around that hole. Is it even flush with the rest of the block?
It is not flush with the rest, it recedes about half an inch past the rest of the deck.
You'll want to bring this to a machine shop to repair that. The same exact same thing happened to me years ago, had to get it welded, drilled, and tapped.
Awesome thanks for the help man

·
Registered
340 Posts
All hope is not lost. Have it drilled welded and then put in a time cert. Helicoils are marginal at best and you may have to relive that repair again.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is my before and after

View attachment 69120
So I've asked around at 2 machine shops and 1 welding shop, all of them say im pretty screwed and are not willing to do anything for me, very frustrating, where are you located? And what machine shop did you go to? Im just about ready to drive across a couple of states just to get this fixed

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Even if you tell them you're not looking for perfection or warrantied work?
You just want it flush and it's not taking a lot of force, maybe they don't understand what the bolt does?! That sucks.

·
5,249 Posts
So I've asked around at 2 machine shops and 1 welding shop, all of them say im pretty screwed and are not willing to do anything for me, very frustrating...
Yup, I've had similar experience with machine shops too. Lazy, surly and completely uninterested across the board even if you're willing to accommodate their schedule and have cash in hand. You need to know people personally in the biz to get stuff like this done - or travel just as you've posted.

·
Premium Member
12,092 Posts
The shops are afraid that you will come back, look at the job, and say, "This sucks! I'm not paying!" They know that the piece is essentially scrap by commercial standards. You would want a shop that you have an ongoing relationship with. They would likely trust you to close the deal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts